Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burial of Silence - Blackcapaudio mix
V3 EDIT - So that'll teach me for thinking some quick mixbus eq can fix all Blush , I didn't test it on a couple of systems and later realised how harsh it came out - especially the guitars. I got tricked with the "brighter = better" thing our brain can do sometimes. Anyway here's that tamed and is now actually more in line with what I'd like it to sound like. Lessons learned; metal is real hard to mix y'all. Thanks!

V2 EDIT: On reflection today I realised it needed to be a bit more "metal" and have less mids to better fit the style so I tinkered a little to try and bring it more in line with the genre. I used Early Grave by Architects as a kind of reference as it seemed closer in sound than what I'd been previously thinking. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

V1 - Well this was a lot of fun! Anything this metal/metalcore I tend to really struggle with but I wanted to give this one a go because of just how heavy it was  Big Grin

As everyone else has said the overheads were hard work with some cymbals being non-existent and others (looking at you hi hat) being piercing. Gotta work with what you've got though and so I found automating each side independently in volume when crashes would hit etc helped quite a bit. It's not perfect as I'm no Andy Wallace at automating overheads though but did the best I could for now.
Also I have more bass than perhaps the genre calls for but I was enjoying a rumbling low end to underpin the guitars and give it a "heaviness". The con is I lose some of the kick definition but I think it suits the track ok which has more of a wall of riffs vibe than a tightly chugged track like Thy Art Is Murder or something.

Automating the breakdown was pretty fun as well to offer some dynamic interest and some effects. 

Guitars I just used the supplied tones as well, no reamping or anything. Same with the drums I just used the samples they had supplied.

Hope you enjoy and see you in the pit haha!

.mp3    Rebuild The Evil - Burial Of Silence Blackcapaudio Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.06 MB)

.mp3    Rebuild The Evil - blackcapaudio V2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.2 MB)

.mp3    V3 Rebuild The Evil - Blackcapaudio mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.2 MB)