Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Pills Berlin Mix
I am testing my new setup...and still fighting with the subs....
Please let me know your honest comments,
thanks!!!

.mp3    Happy-Pills-Master v1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.93 MB)

Hi!

First of all, i think that this is a good mix.

I personally wouldn't mind a tad more bite on the guitars. Some 3k maybe.

Regarding your question about the low end/subs, my comments should be taken with a grain of salt. I am an amateur on an amateurish listening system.

You 've got a good separation of the low end instruments (kick, bass, toms) to the rest of the party. But then those parts feel a little bit disconnected at the same time.
I can clearly hear the low end and it feels a little bit "rumbly" at times, but this might well be, because i have not much of a sonic anchor point in the higher mids, like the clicky part of the bassdrum, the stick hit attacky part of the toms and the higher overtones of the bass.
Especially the latter often sounds not really pleasant or is barely there in the recorded material at all. So i really don't want to advocate for boosting those frequencies in order to take over the sound of the instrument, like a Heavy Metal Kick.
I have found that for me, once i have those indicators (oh look, there's the bass playing), there is a better basis for me to judge the levels in the low end. And sometimes reducing a 100Hz boost by .5dB works wonders.

Groetjes, niels
It doesn't have to sound good to move people - David Byrne