Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix by an "old white guy"
I really enjoyed mixing this track and did what I typically do: Try to make it spatially interesting and not too busy at the same time.
The tracks were great. I didn't need to do much to them. The exception was the drum track. Since the kick, snare and hat were all on one track, I couldn't "move" things the way I wanted. So I re-cut that with software drums in Logic. This gave me some more room to play with the drums and made them sound the way I wanted them to. Particularly, I wanted a more prominent kick drum.
I also felt that the string sounds made things "crowded" in the mix, so they're gone. I simplified the background vocals as well, using only one track per part and moving them left and right. This, I feel, makes the mix cleaner. All the vocals have the same treatment - all sent to a single stereo bus with EQ, compression and tape-echo.
I loved the subject matter, and the vocalist has a great voice. Kudos to the producer who laid out the instruments very nicely. Again, I just felt the strings were too much for the final mix, but everything else was really nice.
Hope you all like it. Been a while since I've posted.

EDIT: I decided to go back and see if I could make those strings work, so a re-recorded them with a more subtle sound and an octave lower. In the original recording they were just too shrill for my liking. I also automated the vocal track to make it more smooth in the mix. It gets slightly buried in the last chorus but I didn't feel like messing more with it. The new track of course is "Triviul Widow (2)"

.mp3    Triviul Widow.mp3 --  (Download: 3.41 MB)

.mp3    Triviul Widow (2).mp3 --  (Download: 3.41 MB)

--Dean