Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ronnie Jones - Why Don't You Stay
Here's my take on this lovely song.
I've chosen to use all the raw guitars with effects already printed
Let me know how this turned out, I would love some comments or feedback

Cheers

Later Edit 27.02.2022 (v1 R03)
Changed the balance of the tambourine and made some minor improvements to the acoustic guitars

.mp3    Ronnie Jones - Why Don\'t You Stay v1 R02.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

.mp3    Ronnie Jones - Why Don\'t You Stay v1 R03.mp3 --  (Download: 9.7 MB)

MacPro 5,1 - Monteret | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
Sounds great!
Thanks Lynx_TWO.
Glad you liked it!
Here's my entry - feedback always welcome.  I used Joey Sturges ToneForge on the DI tracks and included the bass DI with some distortion in the Electric Guitars group in Reaper.

.m4a    Cambridge feat. Ronnie Jones - Why Dont You Stay - Mix & Master by Daniel Boyd.m4a --  (Download: 12.24 MB)

Hey Lynx_TWO,

I like the Acoustic Guitars, a very good sound and balance.
I would give the Kick a bit of air, I can't really hear it and also the voice has too many harsh frequencies in the upper spectrum, and I think you could use a de-esser.
Overall a good balance

Cheers
(27-02-2022, 08:56 PM)filipandrei Wrote: Hey Lynx_TWO,

I like the Acoustic Guitars, a very good sound and balance.
I would give the Kick a bit of air, I can't really hear it and also the voice has too many harsh frequencies in the upper spectrum, and I think you could use a de-esser.
Overall a good balance

Cheers
Thanks!  Yea I'm definitely still learning how to get the bass notes just right.  It's certainly a science and an art!  The voice was purposeful since I personally like hearing all the components including sibilance, but yes the EQ I used is more geared for metal voices so isn't as smooth or 'silky' as I'd like Big Grin

The acoustic guitars are something I always focus on.  I EQ-Match them with RX to a specific standard I enjoy, then I used 5 layers of Denise Audio Perfect Room with different crossover points and ducking settings, along with DragonFire to really bring out the air and the frets.

Reaper FX Chain here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wjk23So4g38guN_UmNgw1GqmVh-bleyw/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: OK I gotta admit, changing the EQ to the 'ol fabfilter Q3 and using a DeEsser really smoothed out the vocals. I'm using that from now on (OK except maybe with metal lol, but even then...)
What I've learned over the years is that smooth or silky voice comes first from a clear voice, and adding a bit of "air" EQ (8K - 12K area).
Also learned that a clear voice is around 1K-4K area, where our ears are most sensitive to (that's how they work, right?).
So, my suggestion, and what I usually do, try keeping it clean in this range, and make space for it (maybe EQ other instruments / tracks in the song), then apply a bit of 8K-12K boost

I've never used RX for mixing a song, thought it is specific for some other audio tasks

Cheers
(28-02-2022, 02:29 PM)filipandrei Wrote: What I've learned over the years is that smooth or silky voice comes first from a clear voice, and adding a bit of "air" EQ (8K - 12K area).
Also learned that a clear voice is around 1K-4K area, where our ears are most sensitive to (that's how they work, right?).
So, my suggestion, and what I usually do, try keeping it clean in this range, and make space for it (maybe EQ other instruments / tracks in the song), then apply a bit of 8K-12K boost

I've never used RX for mixing a song, thought it is specific for some other audio tasks

Cheers
Nice!  I tried as you suggested and yes, you were right lol.  Much better-sounding vocals!

Yea I only use RX for EQ Matching Acoustic Guitars specifically.  I came across what sounded like a perfect dry recording of acoustic guitars and a lot of recordings of Guitars are a bit off, so now I just EQ match to my reference on the dry tracks before pulling them into Reaper.  Works really well and helps me get consistently good results in that area.  I haven't run across any other instruments I'd EQ Match though as usually that process ends up sounding fairly bad in my experiments, but Acoustic Guitars take up most of the frequency range...
Now I understand. Thanks a lot for the tip.
Any particular site I should search for this EQ curve?
By the way...Reaper guy here too Smile

Cheers
(28-02-2022, 04:07 PM)filipandrei Wrote: Now I understand. Thanks a lot for the tip.
Any particular site I should search for this EQ curve?
By the way...Reaper guy here too Smile

Cheers
There's no site, but if you use RX, here is my EQ Match file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uPPfKjQ...sp=sharing

Goes under C:-Users-[USERNAME]-Documents-iZotope-RX 9 Audio Editor-Presets-EQ Match

Currently working on the bass portion, I'm using Track Spacer on the bass guitar to create a better space for the Kick Drum to sit in and will upload the results in my next response...  The kick drum is certainly 'softer' than what I'm used to