Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturn Syndicate - Never Leave The Night Alone
Please more of these Smile
Such a nice song to mix, really great production and singing
Hope it turned out fine

Cheers

.mp3    Saturn Syndicate - Never Leave the Night Alone.mp3 --  (Download: 8.88 MB)

MacPro 5,1 - Monteret | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA
I like the volume in the bass Smile the vox sound smooth aswell.
Thanks crownoise! Smile
Hi,

Thought it was about time I got round to checking out your mix too!

The mix is well eq'd and balanced - but for me it is perhaps a bit kind of flat and lacking that extra dimension and spice. 

If you check out the library mix they've cut the intro and gone straight into the action.  If you listen, you've got little things like the pitched delay vocal throw in the first verse that add interest.  I've not listened to it for a while but I also recall getting the feeling that they also really tried to add extra excitement with limiting, bus compression and saturation too. 

(Maybe at the expense of some width, as mixes can start sounding a little sort of narrow and not quite so 3d if you limit/compress a little too much, which I tried to avoid in my version).

I suggest maybe thinking about how you can make each part really pop out of the speakers, how you can add extra interest to the mix, and also how to get some real contrast between the verses and chorus parts.  How to add that extra spice and turn a well balanced mix into a great record.  For me, this is the next challenge, once you've got the mix balance down, which you definitely have - you got to start trying to lift the mix above the competition, so to speak and turn it in to  a record.  It's not easy and is a lot of work and effort - and  I feel a lot of people kind of give up at that stage and don't quite try to go that extra mile.  I feel it would be worth trying to go that extra mile with this mix.

Keep pushing.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey mikej, thanks a lot for listening and for your feedback.

I totally agree with you, it needs excitement and spice, and more than this it needs separation between verse and chorus (although this was a great production from the beginning, and it has some elements that emphasise the chorus)

I know for sure all my mixes are lacking automation, so I think this is where I'll start

Once again, thanks a lot for your feedback
Cheers