Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
moon music mix1
Hers's my try at this track, any feedback would be great!!

.mp3    oos usic mix5.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

Great sounding mix , just a couple of things that jump out on my monitors.
The hi hat and electronic snare in the intro sound a touch loud when they come in overpowering the great sounding guitar intro.
The music and vocals in the verse sound great Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hey Don! Thanx for taking time to listen to my mix, and you know what, your right about the intro, the snare and high hat should be tamed a bit more. Il try some side chain compression and repost the new mix. Thanx for that detail it helps a lot!
Hey guy. Thanks for commenting again on my mix. I try to comment to everyone who takes the time to comment on my mixes Big Grin

I like a lot about this mix. You've carved a nice little space for the vocal to sit in the verse, and the guitar intro sounds fantastic. The vocal has just enough warm that the it sounds great without the inevitable buildup in the 200 to 300 range, although I think the vocal is a bit too loud in the bridge (tell me truly, are you human... that bit.) I don't think it's necessarily that the vocal needs to come down, I just think the guitars could use more beef in that section.

So a few suggestions:

Listen to the organ in the intro... hear how some of the notes are kinda getting lost? There's an EQ conflict there somewhere, but if EQ won't do the trick, you could pinpoint the principle frequency of the note that's getting lost and do some sidechain multiband compression freaky jeaky voodoo.

I feel like the sample hit hat is quite a bit too loud and the sample kick could be louder, and there's a little too much reverb/delay.

In my DAW it looks like your mix is rather limited throughout the entire song, yet it's very transient rich, which I'd wondered about because on some of the more powerful notes I could hear crackling distortion in the lead vocal. I'm not an anti-loudness war limiting nerd, but given that it's so transient rich I'd suggest a little more master bus compression (or better yet, tracking down the source of those transients and compressing those instead) before the limiter so the limiter isn't kicking in and ducking out so quickly and frequently, because that creates much more noticeable distortion and you lose the psychoacoustic appeal of using a master limiter if it isn't more transparent. Maybe automate your limiter so that it's only running during the choruses, because this track likes to get quieter in the choruses than in the verses, and a limiter during those sections is certainly one way of remedying that! If you do, though, it might be a good idea to encode the stereo to mid/side and bring down the middle so the vocal doesn't get too loud on you.

All in all a great mix. Nice and clear, good separation, and many of the instruments sound quite good in their own right Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(17-03-2014, 06:09 PM)pauli Wrote: Hey guy. Thanks for commenting again on my mix. I try to comment to everyone who takes the time to comment on my mixes Big Grin

I like a lot about this mix. You've carved a nice little space for the vocal to sit in the verse, and the guitar intro sounds fantastic. The vocal has just enough warm that the it sounds great without the inevitable buildup in the 200 to 300 range, although I think the vocal is a bit too loud in the bridge (tell me truly, are you human... that bit.) I don't think it's necessarily that the vocal needs to come down, I just think the guitars could use more beef in that section.

So a few suggestions:

Listen to the organ in the intro... hear how some of the notes are kinda getting lost? There's an EQ conflict there somewhere, but if EQ won't do the trick, you couldpinpoint the principle frequency of the note that's getting lost and do some sidechain multiband compression freaky jeaky voodoo.

I feel like the sample hit hat is quite a bit too loud and the sample kick could be louder, and there's a little too much reverb/delay.

In my DAW it looks like your mix is rather limited throughout the entire song, yet it's very transient rich, which I'd wondered about because on some of the more powerful notes I could hear crackling distortion in the lead vocal. I'm not an anti-loudness war limiting nerd, but given that it's so transient rich I'd suggest a little more master bus compression (or better yet, tracking down the source of those transients and compressing those instead) before the limiter so the limiter isn't kicking in and ducking out so quickly and frequently, because that creates much more noticeable distortion and you lose the psychoacoustic appeal of using a master limiter if it isn't more transparent. Maybe automate your limiter so that it's only running during the choruses, because this track likes to get quieter in the choruses than in the verses, and a limiter during those sections is certainly one way of remedying that! If you do, though, it might be a good idea to encode the stereo to mid/side and bring down the middle so the vocal doesn't get too loud on you.

All in all a great mix. Nice and clear, good separation, and many of the instruments sound quite good in their own right Big Grin

Thanx for taking the time to listen to my mix and thanx for all the good advice! I will definitely go back and see where I can fix some of those issues. Again you input is very valuable so thanx once again for taking time in listening to the mix and replying.