Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mix with process notes (What I did)
Hello Everyone,
I have posted my mix of "Summertime" and attached mix process notes below.  Let me know what you think.

1. Listen to each track in solo to see what I have to work with.  After listening, set my goal of the mix I want to create.  I did not use the distance mics for my mix.
  2. Align the tracks I chose to use.  This step also includes volume and pan matching the Mics. 
  3. Clean the tracks.  I reduced resonances, hi passed and low passed the Mics for the most focused tone.  I did not spectral clean because there were no serious issues, "mic stand kicks or environmental noise".
  4. Compress DI mic and Sax mic 2 to match their relative Mics. Comp Sax 2 to match Sax 1 and Comp DI to match Close Gtr.  I short, Comp the louder of the mic pair.
  5. EQ to enhance the tracks.  Bring out presence and detail.  This process is always limited by what has been captured.
  6. Compress again.  Compress the combined Mics to control the combined dynamics.  Anytime I combine Mics it imparts unwanted dynamic gains, "things jumping out too much".
  7. Audition Reverbs.  I send the entire mix bus to the reverb when I audition so I can hear what it will do to everything.  I pick the one that sounds the best for everything.  My send level for this is usually -12db. 
  8. Adjust individual reverb send levels, predelay and reverb EQ for the combined tracks.  As I do this, I am tweaking all of the prior processing at the track level. 
  9. Once I get to this point, I continue to tweak until the Song has the feel I want and then I'm done.  Or I'm done because I start to get LAZY.  Fortunately, I did not get lazy on this song.

.mp3    Summertime ALX 2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.44 MB)