Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starnes & Shah - "Prodigal Son"_(CGMIX)
Hey, had alot of fun mixing this one. Nothing special, mostly balancing and filtering, the tracks pretty much mixed themselves. Had to dump out alot of the low frequencies in the bass, and I found that I was doing the same with the kick drum. However, I'm pretty happy with the result, tell me what you think. Hope you enjoy.

.mp3    Starnes & Shah - Prodigal Son_(CGMIX).mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

.mp3    Starnes & Shah - Prodigal Son_(CGMIX) V2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

Sounds good. I think the vocals could be a little bigger. It's such a simple song that they really should be the forefront and have a little more body. Or at least the lead should. They're a little nasal at the moment. This doesn't necessarily mean louder. The overall level feels fine especially in the chorus.
The other vocals could come up a bit. S&S tend to view the vocals as a duo lead with some other backgrounds added.

Yeah, both the kick and bass had a lot of lows. The bass player seemed to like the bass with the tone knob down. That said, you got a good sound out of it. I'm not sure if you automated it but it does seem to stand out at the right time for certain fills/riffs. The kick was mic'd with a kick drum mic that had a huge low end bump. It was all I really had available and this song would have benefitted from a different set up but it was recorded in a basement and we made do.

I think the tone of the "overheads" mics could be skewed to be a bit brighter and have less low end. There was only four mics on the drums and I used a Glyn Johns setup to get an overall kit sound. The mic near the floor tom always picks up too much kick and there's some extra lows/mids on the right that could be filtered down. Maybe on both OHs. I think that light open up the kit sound a bit. The outro drums work but then again he switched from bundles (I think) to actual sticks and is hitting harder so that brings out the cymbals more.

I like the phased on the fill guitar after the first chorus. It's a little 'shy' and could make a bit more of a statement but it's better as is than being too over the top.

The guitars overall feel fine. Nothing jumps out at me.

Anyway, it sounds good. I think the drums could be tweaked a bit and the vocals could be a little "bigger". I hope that makes sense. I just woke up and haven't had my coffee yet.
(12-02-2022, 01:43 PM)roy Wrote: Sounds good. I think the vocals could be a little bigger. It's such a simple song that they really should be the forefront and have a little more body. Or at least the lead should. They're a little nasal at the moment. This doesn't necessarily mean louder. The overall level feels fine especially in the chorus.
The other vocals could come up a bit. S&S tend to view the vocals as a duo lead with some other backgrounds added.

Yeah, both the kick and bass had a lot of lows. The bass player seemed to like the bass with the tone knob down. That said, you got a good sound out of it. I'm not sure if you automated it but it does seem to stand out at the right time for certain fills/riffs. The kick was mic'd with a kick drum mic that had a huge low end bump. It was all I really had available and this song would have benefitted from a different set up but it was recorded in a basement and we made do.

I think the tone of the "overheads" mics could be skewed to be a bit brighter and have less low end. There was only four mics on the drums and I used a Glyn Johns setup to get an overall kit sound. The mic near the floor tom always picks up too much kick and there's some extra lows/mids on the right that could be filtered down. Maybe on both OHs. I think that light open up the kit sound a bit. The outro drums work but then again he switched from bundles (I think) to actual sticks and is hitting harder so that brings out the cymbals more.

I like the phased on the fill guitar after the first chorus. It's a little 'shy' and could make a bit more of a statement but it's better as is than being too over the top.

The guitars overall feel fine. Nothing jumps out at me.

Anyway, it sounds good. I think the drums could be tweaked a bit and the vocals could be a little "bigger". I hope that makes sense. I just woke up and haven't had my coffee yet.
Thanks for the reply, Roy.

I agree, after coming back to it the morning after the vocals could be a little more "forward" in the mix. I tweaked the EQ on the lead vocal a little bit to hopefully cut out some of the nasally frequencies, and to hopefully make it stand out a little bit more. I've also deepened the cut in the 400hz range on the overheads to get rid of some of the unnecessary low-end build-up, which subsequently made the overheads sound a little brighter/cleaner. I brought up the backing-vocals as well, and re-tweaked their EQ.

Hopefully the second version has fixed some of the issues in the first mix. Thank you for your reply, I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.