Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I Want_The Brew
Hello everybody!
That's my take on the mix. Nice and Intresting song. Please enjoy and leave a comment. Cool

.mp3    TheBrew_WhatIWant_MIX.mp3 --  (Download: 8.89 MB)

Hello! That what i noticed: 1. Humming noise - try to deal with it. 2. Snare reverb is too much (or drum room) 3. Vocals too quite and distant, it should be closer and brighter. What i like is your mix has dynamics and not compressed too much, but its kinda dark, needs high freqs boost
(11-02-2022, 11:40 PM)fuzzbox Wrote: Hello! That what i noticed: 1. Humming noise - try to deal with it. 2. Snare reverb is too much (or drum room) 3. Vocals too quite and distant, it should be closer and brighter. What i like is your mix has dynamics and not compressed too much, but its kinda dark, needs high freqs boost
Hey, thanks for the feedback!

Could you point me where the humming is coming from 'cause honestly, I cannot hear it . About the vocals, it was a choice to push them a bit to the back, because generally I like the vocals to be a bit quieter from the rest of the mix and also I thought that the melody, the instruments and the rythm were pretty intresting and I decided to keep them to the front. Also, you are right, it could be brighter. I listened the original version and it is brighter. Then again I think this one is fine. You could consider it "warmer" haha. Anyhow, thanks for the commets !
I'm butting in but just to jump off of fuzzbox's comments:
-Yeah, I'm not noticing any humming or resonance or anything. to saying it's not there but I could just be missing it. [Edit: yeah, there is some guitar pickup/ground noise that I notice before the song but not during the song. It's fairly subtle. I think if the mix was trimmed to start right at the first notes the noise wouldn't catch anyone's ear.]
-I agree about the vocals and think they could be louder/more out in front but accept that this was a choice. Still, I think they could be more upfront and different genres could have different vocal levels.
-I like the snare verb. It's got an 80s vibe but doesn't feel cheesy and fits the song. Or at least it works for me.
-The brightness feels fine. It could have a bit more high end/openness/clarity or whatever but it feels fine as is and I'd say it works as a punt to whatever a mastering engineer would do. Let them worry about that. As a mix this feels like the job was done.
(12-02-2022, 08:05 PM)roy Wrote: I'm butting in but just to jump off of fuzzbox's comments:
-Yeah, I'm not noticing any humming or resonance or anything. to saying it's not there but I could just be missing it. [Edit: yeah, there is some guitar pickup/ground noise that I notice before the song but not during the song. It's fairly subtle. I think if the mix was trimmed to start right at the first notes the noise wouldn't catch anyone's ear.]
-I agree about the vocals and think they could be louder/more out in front but accept that this was a choice. Still, I think they could be more upfront and different genres could have different vocal levels.
-I like the snare verb. It's got an 80s vibe but doesn't feel cheesy and fits the song. Or at least it works for me.
-The brightness feels fine. It could have a bit more high end/openness/clarity or whatever but it feels fine as is and I'd say it works as a punt to whatever a mastering engineer would do. Let them worry about that. As a mix this feels like the job was done.
Hi, thanks for the comment!

About the humming, I thought that Fuzzbox was talking about something else and not the humming from the main guitar. I gave it a listen again and to be honest you got to play the song at a fairly high volume and just then it will become somewhat annoying. However a few seconds after, the other instruments kick in and it practically disappears and you won't ever hear it again. Also I don't know if I could do something about it because it  seems to be from the recording stage.
 What you say about the mastering stage is true. I am faking the mastering stage by adding some plugins to the mix bus to make things sound more glued, clear some stuff out, and increase the volume. I am trying to mix these songs to a day or two so that I don't burn out my ears and lose perspective of the song and what sounds good or not. I need more practice to judge with certainty the mixes that I do and make the 'right' decisions on the mastering stage. That's why I am posting those mixes so I get commets and feedback, so thanks for that.