Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
first mix ever
hi all,

i´m an absolut beginnner in homerecording/mixing and this is my veryfirst "project".

i´ve only used a 30 day trial form REAPER and some free 3rd party plugins e. g. "lepou" vamps. this was "mixed" with a 30 bucks gameing headphone, without listening to any reference systems. hope it isn´t that bad at all.

so, pls don´t be to harsh with your critics ;-)

hope you´ll enjoy it.

thrasher

p.s. i´m german, so my english isn´t the best. sorry 4 that :-(

.mp3    reapermetal2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.57 MB)

The guitar sound feels 'phasey' and hollow. Not sure what you're doing to make them like that, but if it's some kind of widener then I'd back that off and try to get the raw sounds coming across more solidly in the first instance. You might also want to clear a bit more of the upper midrange space for the vocals, because they're getting heavily masked at the moment.

Otherwise, the basic balance decisions aren't bad, certainly if you're just starting out. Good instincts! Smile
thx a lot for your reply.

*the guitar thing:

1) i paned the two tracks 100% (1L/1R)
2) FX: TSE 808 (OD pedal no distortion, only lvl boost) [both channels], followed by a ampsim from "le pou" [1 track an engl, 1 track a mesa], both with nearly zero gain, only EQ´ing, Presence, Master Vol., last not least i used (shame on me) a cabin emulation. and this is the key/reason why its sounds phasey, i guess. cause the raw guitar tracks allready are miced and not a DI signal.

*the vocal thing:

is this only a EQ´ing thing, or is it a huge FX debauch to solve this masking problem???

nevertheless, i´ll try to fix this basic "fails" and come up with a new version on weekend :-)
(11-10-2012, 01:07 PM)Thrasher Wrote: is this only a EQ´ing thing, or is it a huge FX debauch to solve this masking problem???

It's mostly an EQ thing, and mostly a question of cutting other tracks rather than boosting the vocals.