Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error 404 (Falkson-Mix)
Hi folks,

a great and powerful song, but not an easy one to mix.
It seems to me that the snare is sometimes too much buried in all that...

Any tipps or comments on my attempt?
Mixed with outboard gear and itb stuff.
Thanks and cheers!

Falk

.mp3    The Bright Star Al - Error404 .mp3 --  (Download: 10.78 MB)

Thanks for submitting a mix! It's pretty good, but I would suggest a few things to help you out with it.

1- There's too much verb on the snare. Either verb or room sample getting in the way of the impact. That's definitely going to cause issues.
2 - The overheads get in the way of things. If you cut some 3khz to 60khz from the overheads / hi hat, you'd definitely have more space for the snare.
3 - It's a little wooly from 100hz to 300hz, you might want to clean that up a bit.
4 - Once that hi hat and overheads track isn't taking up so much space, you can literally high shelf the entire track and boost until it shines bright enough. 10khz would be a nice place to start. It's lacking a lot of air that I'd expect to hear from this track!

Other than those critiques to help push you in the right direction, consider just increasing the snare's and kick's volume since they're getting lost easily. That should be your first inclination if they're feeling buried! Smile

Good mix overall, it just needs some love and it could be great!
(12-02-2022, 03:11 AM)aftercutrecords Wrote: Thanks for submitting a mix! It's pretty good, but I would suggest a few things to help you out with it.

1- There's too much verb on the snare. Either verb or room sample getting in the way of the impact. That's definitely going to cause issues.
2 - The overheads get in the way of things. If you cut some 3khz to 60khz from the overheads / hi hat, you'd definitely have more space for the snare.
3 - It's a little wooly from 100hz to 300hz, you might want to clean that up a bit.
4 - Once that hi hat and overheads track isn't taking up so much space, you can literally high shelf the entire track and boost until it shines bright enough. 10khz would be a nice place to start. It's lacking a lot of air that I'd expect to hear from this track!

Other than those critiques to help push you in the right direction, consider just increasing the snare's and kick's volume since they're getting lost easily. That should be your first inclination if they're feeling buried! Smile

Good mix overall, it just needs some love and it could be great!

Hi aftercutrecords

Thanks for your reply and advice.
Especially the tip about the OHs.
Gonna post a new version soon.

Cheers!