Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo - Wizard Audio
Greetings!

Mixed in Pro Tools 10HD (Win 7/HD4/HP Z800) with the following:

Reverb: Lexicon MX300 (Synths), Alesis QuadraVerb (Vocal Verb), Alesis MidiVerb 4 (Guitar Verb/Chorus/Delay), Yamaha REV-500 (Orchestra), Yamaha SPX-90 (Pulsing verse Synth)
Delay: T.C. Electronic D-Two (Vocals), Digitech TSR-24s (Chorus vocals only - Stereo Spreader +5cents L,-12 cents R)
Compression: R-Comp (Waves - used throughout the session), Warm Audio 2 Bus Comp (Mix Bus Comp), STAM Audio SA-76 ADG (Vocals - Used A mode)
EQ: Pro Tools stock EQ-7, Puigtech EQ (Waves - used throughout the session)
Converters: Avid 192 (x2), Avid 96 (x2)
Speakers: Focal Solo 6BE
Controller: Avid C|24

I took some creative liberties, involving heavy-handed use of the mute button. I did not use any of the background vocal parts, except near the end of the song. I also opted not to use any of the acoustic drum tracks, including the tom pattern, as I felt the intimacy of the vocal would really shine with more rhythmic space. There were a few parts of the lead vocal that I felt were drifting a little too much in pitch at times, however, using a stereo pitch spread evened it out enough for my ears and I felt it should stay as is, from an emotive point of view. I utilized a fair bit of console automation, especially on the lead vocals and effects. Fantastic song and great vocal performance!

Cheers!
Glenn Kelton / Wizard Audio

.mp3    Echo - GK Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.69 MB)

*Protools, Avid C24 control surface, Waves, Plugin Alliance, Slate, Focal Solo 6BE, Universal Audio Apollo, RME Babyface. Outboard delays and reverbs: Lexicon, Yamaha, Digitech, T.C. Electronic
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Greetings!

I did check this one out a few days ago when you posted it, but I seem to be little bit slack posting wise of late.

It's for sure a competent mix, and I get the impression you have maybe perhaps done this before and are kind of pro at this... BUT for my tastes it is somehow maybe a little lacking in excitement, etc? Perhaps it's a bit too safe/smooth of a mix? I hear this one as a more cutting edge pop track, and as such I suspect the things you removed are what kind of makes it for me? I feel I want to hear the tuning artifacts! The vocal stutters, pitched down and reharmonised vocals, a more pushed sub bass stuff, etc?

I do feel a bad pointing this out and feel I am being too harsh as the mix is clearly competent and I suspect you've spent a fair bit of time on it, but at the same time I can't help being left with the feeling that something is missing... I think you can push it a bit more?

Please don't hate me!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Appreciate the feedback, Mike!

This is what makes music so interesting. 100 people will produce 100 different results. Everything you pointed out is valid, for sure. It comes down to how we hear things, really. There is really no right or wrong, as long as the product is listenable and has achieved a certain level of completeness. Of course, in a normal working day, I always defer to the client and what they want, because after all, it is their product. In the case of the tracks we have access to here on this wonderful forum, I like to be very selfish when I do work on them from time to time. I definitely crafted this one so that I loved listening to it. 

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!! I really appreciate it. I prefer critical feedback to positive, personally. I don't really need anyone telling me they liked something I have done, but I am always open to things I could have done differently, or as you pointed out, maybe even a different musical approach. 

CHEERS!
Glenn
*Protools, Avid C24 control surface, Waves, Plugin Alliance, Slate, Focal Solo 6BE, Universal Audio Apollo, RME Babyface. Outboard delays and reverbs: Lexicon, Yamaha, Digitech, T.C. Electronic
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada