Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skelpolu: 'Human Mistakes' - Cefe's Mix
My attempt at this one. I'm not very familiar with D&B to be honest, so any comments to improve are very welcome...

Cheers!

.mp3    Skepolu\'s \'Human Mistakes\' - Cefe\'s Mix......mp3 --  (Download: 10.46 MB)

(11-03-2014, 10:59 PM)Cefe Wrote: My attempt at this one. I'm not very familiar with D&B to be honest, so any comments to improve are very welcome...

First I want to say this gave me some awesome ideas. I was going to write a short film based on my interpretation of the song (see the posting on my interpretation in my thread; you can also hear my mix there, of course Wink), but your mix here gave me ideas to flesh it out to the point where I think I might get a whole feature film screenplay out of this. Big Grin That being said, I think I'll keep my mouth shut as to the specifics of my ideas for the time being... Angel

That having been said, this is a highly creative mix going way out to lunch of what Drum & Bass is. Having said that, I still think it's awesome. I really loved it! I just gave me such a feeling of this Artificial Intelligence floating around in a server somewhere trying to figure out where it is. It may not be what the artist had in mind but, as a creation unto itself, it's a pretty mind-blowing interpretation. I love the raw sparseness of it; it really helps sell that feeling of being in a big, empty space. Funny because, at first, I didn't think I was going to like it. But it just sucked me in like a black hole (in a good way Big Grin).

My only suggestion would be to pull that piano out a lot more. Other than that, this is the most creative mix I've seen of this by far! Well done! Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Geez, Cefe!
I gotta agree with Pedaling Prince, this track is turning its back towards the rest - that's really creative man!
I like the reversed Piano a lot, though sometimes it was noticable that the timing wasnt always 100% correct, but that's beside the point.
Even though the genre is not so well known to you, you still got the kick and bass pretty well mixed into the track. :o
Technically, the Snare is fine just as much. There's also Liquid Drum & Bass where everything seems more calm and relaxing. This track might not be part of it, but why not. Big Grin

P.S: Nice ending, I need to listen to it twice to appreciate all the new aspects here. Good job mate! Smile
Thanks very much for your comments!! Sorry for the late reply, it has been a bit mental here in Ireland with St Patricks days long weekend!
I havent got the chance to listen to your tracks in detail, tomorrow with fresh ears, I will check that out.

John, I'm really happy to hear that it helps to trigger some good images/ideas for your writing! Dont forget to send a link or sth when you have that done.

Skelpolu, good to hear you enjoy the new parts and that I wasn't that off of what D&B should sound. I really just went with my instincts. I thought that the track needed more separation and emphasis on some of the transitions and hence tried to add some movement with stuff like the reverse piano etc. Thanks for sharing your work!

Thanks again lads!
I love what you did with the intro, very nice! A few things I might look at would be changing the diffusion and early reflections on the vocal reverb by pulling them back a bit, and eqing the high end on the reverb by pulling it down. This should help sit the vocals into your mix a little better.