Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glen McPhee: 'A Sailor Once More' - a family song
This is a story of a father teaching about life to his young lads, to follow in his footsteps – doing their first uncertain, but promising attempts, at least in singing. Their first steps on the great journey of growing into men themselves.
As such, the song and story is what this is about – hence I put vocals in front.

Secondly, I was trying to honour the cultural origin of the song by keeping the whistle in focus as well all throughout, and emphasizing its back-and-forth with the pipes.

Thirdly, since everything else is "kulturfremd" (alien to the genre/original cultural style), they are to be relegated into the background as supporting musical texture "extras". I tried to shoehorn everything in in acceptable proportions: a pinch of everything is there, and they do contribute in the sense that the song would get emptier if any of them were muted. However since none of them has any nice music written for them (which would deserve a spotlight), none gets a focus – they just contribute to the group effort, occasionally shining through here and there.

I haven't spent much effort on fixing the vocals; in my opinion they are not miked/recorded too nicely and/or are overprocessed (robotic vowels, rough consonants, pieces of voice chopped off due to noise gating, etc.), and have other mistakes (e.g. jump at 0:28; pitch uncertainty at 2:31 – heard some mixes on here where this was fixed nicely; tonal change at 3:14), so I'm wary of investing time where there is little hope for a great end result that would make it worth. Quite a shame actually, because all the lads sound to have an okay voice, and with a little practice and training they could deliver musically much more valuable vocals than what is provided in this session. If it was my recording session, I would opt to coach them, and record better vocals outright – instead of trying to fix things up on the computer. Is a better experience for everyone: the performer gains confidence that can inspire them in their future performances, and the recordings also gain in musical value.

.mp3    Glen McPhee - A Sailor Once More_r1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.2 MB)

Someone told me to emphasize the ethnic instruments, give them at least as much focus, as the singing has. See (well... hear) attached. I think I may have overdone it.

(The whistle player started dancing around during some of his solo parts with the bagpipes. Bagpipes should follow suit eventually in later versions.)

.mp3    Glen McPhee - A Sailor Once More_r3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.09 MB)