Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Song of India - Olli H
Although I like it, I'm not at all familiar with big band music. So I relied heavily on reference: one version of this song by BBC orchestra and another by Tom Dorsey.

I end up using quite heavily automation and mute button here and there to get little closer to the sounds of my references.

Sound of the kick drum on the tracks was quite floppy. Also, DI version of the double bass did't have too much common with the real double bass sound.

.mp3    2014-03-10-song-of-india-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 6.84 MB)

Just like you, not the kind of music that I'm more familiar with, but I think you achieved a very good sound. The only thing I see is that sometimes the overheads track gets a little bit lost with the band but that's something that can easily be corrected Smile Anyway, I think that our friend Pauli here can give a real good point of view because he has a trained ear for orchestras and bands!
mixing since April 2013
Thanks for the good comment. I'll check that hi-hat. Your comment also opens the question of the role of the drums (and bass) in this kind of music. At the moment I'm not sure should it be heard too clearly when the horns get wild. Maybe I must analyze some classics to understand better the role of drums in this kind of music.
As I told you, I'm not too familiar with this style of music, but I remembered that George Michael had a few big band songs. You can check for instance his song "secret love" and you can pay attention of the drums there. I think you can use it as a reference in the future Smile
mixing since April 2013
cool, I'll check that
I didn't find Geroge Micheals big band stuff, but I made a quick "study" of the subject.

My main reference:
Drums quite low
(BBC Big Band Orchestra )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNVfCAily1c

Other versions:
Symbals little louder
(Munich Swing Orchestra)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxlmgeEogFA

Drums quite loud, but not at pop level
(Tommy Dorsey Orchestra)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-ecCJhAt48

Bass seems to be quite low always in this kind of music.

I decided to lift up little drums and balanced the bass, guitar, and piano without listenin horns at all. But quite small adjustments. Thanks again, Juan, for comments!

Now I had to go on and concentrate to one "mix competition" and to one "remix competition". Both Indaba-stuff.

.mp3    2014-03-12-song-of-india-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 6.84 MB)

Very nice. You've made me want to try this one Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Thanks, I'll comment your mix if I notice it.
Sounds great in headphones, especially the intro and the outro.
I wonder if the saxes are too loud when they play alone. When the trumpets come in they play loud my ears tell me but the sound doesnt have the volume I expect after bein right in front of the saxes

One bigband favorit of mine is the Sinatra at the sands with Basie and lots of arrangements by a very young Quincy Jones. Very well fecorded and wondrfull arrrangements.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thanks, and yes, you're probably right about sax. I must analyze the style little bit more to get better inner feeling of the needs of this genre. The focus points and focus levels of brass instruments are quite difficult for the guy like me who just plays guitar and is very vocal orientated.