Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skelpolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix)
Pedaling Prince,
Ask and ye shall receive! Though there is a limiter on this too, but it is set to -.2dB mainly to make sure I don't clip the digital side of things. But other than that the mix remains unchanged. Most of the power in the mix was achieved through a master buss compressor though. So, I think you'll find that it just opened up a bit more rather than having any kind of crazy revelation in superior sound quality. Though the DR did jump up by about 3dB at the end Wink The mix is meant to be "powerful" though just try to keep that in mind.

Skelpolu,
I don't listen to mixes loud unless the mix invites me to turn them up. Heavily limited mixes never invite that. In fact when I listen to most mixes I have to engage the dim button on my monitor controller, this reduces the level by 20dB. On most commercial releases to get a comfortable listening level I have to be almost all the way down on my knob as well. This produces on average about a 70dB SPL in my room. I have it calibrated such that -20dBFS RMS is 81dB SPL. To think that to get a similar level of SPL I have to attenuate my listening volume that much to achieve a comfortable listening level is absolutely astounding to me. It really is a crazy world. But honestly I don't think you need limiters to achieve ear blisteringly loud mixes. Compressors and good EQ is more than capable of delivering that.

Edit - Prince, if you want to listen to my most dynamic mix I have ever done, listen to my track From Earth to Planet Omega. (SoundCloud compression is terrible and there is a wonderful FLAC available for download) I did not do the mastering myself on it so it lost some there but definitely for the better. Anyway, the track in its original form swung from like -36dBFS to -11dBFS. Just set the initial listening volume during the very first part of the song and you should not have to worry about changing it despite it getting very loud in a couple of sections.

.mp3    Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix)_2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.58 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Skelpolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 08-03-2014, 03:51 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 09-03-2014, 03:23 AM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 09-03-2014, 01:55 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 11-03-2014, 09:27 AM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by pauli - 11-03-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 12-03-2014, 10:19 AM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by pauli - 12-03-2014, 10:47 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 13-03-2014, 01:31 PM