Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skelpolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix)
(08-03-2014, 07:04 PM)Skelpolu Wrote: [M]ine here: https://soundcloud.com/skelpolu/human-mistakes

Thanks for that. I always like to listen to the artist's own mix so I can hear what the original vision was. Smile

However, I do have a quibble which, ironically, you mention yourself:

(10-03-2014, 09:02 AM)Jacques Wrote: P.S.: Drum & Bass is pretty much about loudness, so using a limiter is not avoidable, unless you do it against the mainstream - I am also actually against the loudness-war, sucks to love Drum & Bass however! ;P

Yes, Drum & Bass is about loudness. But I still think you should ditch the limiter. Here's why:

Remember that it's the listener who controls the volume knob, not you. Even if you want your song played loud you can't force the listener to play it loud. We all have our preferred listening volume; if you limit, all that happens is the listener will tend to turn down the volume to their preferred level. In fact, that is exactly what happened when I listened to your mix; I actually reached for the volume control and turned it down from my reference level less than 10 seconds into it. So ultimately you didn't succeed in making your mix "louder" for me, just more fatiguing. That's the folly of the loudness war: people will listen to your music at the level they want to, no matter what level you might prefer them to. Wink

When I mixed your song, I used no limiter on the master buss and, you know what? The dynamic range was still only 10 dB which is, IMHO, the narrowest dynamic range can be without the music being fatiguing on the ears. So I say listen to your instinct and dump the limiter, even if it's "against the mainstream."

Remember, some of the greatest music ever created, music that actually created some of the genres of music of today, began as something that was "against the mainstream." Tongue
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
Skelpolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 08-03-2014, 03:51 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by Pedaling Prince - 10-03-2014, 04:05 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 09-03-2014, 03:23 AM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 09-03-2014, 01:55 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 11-03-2014, 09:27 AM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by pauli - 11-03-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 12-03-2014, 10:19 AM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by pauli - 12-03-2014, 10:47 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 13-03-2014, 01:31 PM