Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Song Of India Mix
Thank you in advance for your time. Any and all feedback appreciated.

.mp3    SOI Mix .mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

I think you have a nice groove in your mix, but the sound of the bass destroys it. Problem is quite evident at 0:30. You have maybe used too much that DI mic. If you solo that mic, you'll find that it doesn't sound so musical. How about taking only the very low end from that mic and taking the natural bass sound from the other mic.

I think trombone at 0:30 is too distant. Well, maybe it should be distant, but other intsruments are trying to give room for that lonesome howl.

Main in thing (probably?) in this music is the brass instruments. Maybe you could enhance the conversational character between them. They are talking to each other all the time.

Cheers Olli
Hi Ollie. Thank you for taking the time to listen, much appreciated! I will have a re-listen to better assess your feedback.
I feel like I hear a boxiness. Maybe a buildup in the mid range is to blame? Not bad, but it just felt a little closed.
I agree with the comment about the distant trombone. I struggled with that a bit myself. It basically sounds like the player deliberately stepped back from the mic when he put his mute in specifically to push himself a little further into the middle distance which, for me, made it hard to find the right level for him to have him soft but still clear.

Basically, it sounds like there are a number balance issues in here. Saxes and bass up too much, not enough trombone, and could use a hair more trumpet everywhere except where they have the melody (but be careful of adding in too much of that first trumpet which is already pretty loud in the raw tracks.)

Regarding the last comment, I think if the balance is a little better that the boxiness will probably diminish markedly too, although it is always wise to dip 300-400 hz maybe 3dB in those instruments that do not live in that space and I've found that it is also worth paying careful attention to the 1-2kHz region since that's where *everything* is trying to live and you've got to be careful that you don't allow them to dog pile on each other....
Old West Audio