Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Skelpolu - Human Mistakes
Hey John, i listened to your second version. I think it is a very nice mix, good interpretation of the feelings of this song. I would only say the echo on the vocals is too distracting (for me). Maybe if you use it less, just bring it up at some words only. It is a nice effect, but there are some parts where is overlapping with the new phrases and gets a bit messy IMO.

Your piano sounds really really nice. There is something about the snare that is not blending very well with the rest of the instruments IMO. Have you tried to add a bit (a bit more?) of the HH reverb on it?

Peace!
Cefe
(21-03-2014, 09:23 PM)Cefe Wrote: [T]he echo on the vocals is too distracting (for me). Maybe if you use it less, just bring it up at some words only. It is a nice effect, but there are some parts where is overlapping with the new phrases and gets a bit messy IMO.

Well, I know Skeloplu likes it the way it is, and I actually like the way the echoes "cross" each other at some points. If anyone else makes this objection I'll consider backing it down a tad but, for now, I think I'll leave it in. However:

(21-03-2014, 09:23 PM)Cefe Wrote: There is something about the snare that is not blending very well with the rest of the instruments IMO. Have you tried to add a bit (a bit more?) of the HH reverb on it?

Actually, the snare has no reverb on it at all. At the time this was a deliberate artistic choice. Most of these tracks sound artificial and electronic, just like the voice. In keeping of my interpretation of this being an Artificial Intelligence that thinks its human, I tried to keep that artificial sound in all the tracks with the exception of the piano. That track I gave an expansive, organic feel because the piano, in my view, represents the emotional core of the AI, the part of him that is truly human.

However, in the case of the snare I think you're absolutely right; the absolutely flat sound of it doesn't blend well. I added a "drum room" reverb to help it blend a bit. Also, on listening to this mix on my iPhone over the last couple of weeks I've realized the snare might also be a little low in the mix; I punched it up a bit, too.

So what do you think? Better? Worse?

.m4a    Human MistakesC.m4a --  (Download: 12.18 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince