Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skelpolu: 'Human Mistakes'
(09-03-2014, 09:33 AM)Skelpolu Wrote: Now, the mix you've probably listened to as a preview was done partially by Mike Senior, as mine was not developed enough at that point.
I've recreated it and had some fun with it, myself. In case you're interested: https://soundcloud.com/skelpolu/human-mistakes

This was pretty cool and creative, Skelpolu! Nice! I enjoyed it, especially the way the vocal eventually devolved into a barely intelligible electronic jumble. That actually fits in with my own interpretation of the song in a way, as if his ability to speak keeps deteriorating as his creator is erasing him. Wink

My only complaint, as usual, is the compression is a wee bit on the heavy side for me. Given how well Juan's mix turned out I will concede that some compression might benefit this particular song (mark your calendar; that's not something you're gonna hear me say often Tongue), but in this case I felt it was a little hard on the ears, the snare particularly; it felt to me like the drummer was smacking me over the head with it rather than playing it the traditional way... Confused

I suspect, given that it's posted to Soundcloud, that this is a "final" mix. Just thought I'd offer a few comments, anyway. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(13-03-2014, 04:55 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote: but in this case I felt it was a little hard on the ears, the snare particularly; it felt to me like the drummer was smacking me over the head with it rather than playing it the traditional way... Confused

I suspect, given that it's posted to Soundcloud, that this is a "final" mix. Just thought I'd offer a few comments, anyway. Wink

Hey there,
well guess that's why it's called "Drum & Bass" - boohoo, I know, one of the worst replies to such kind of feedback, but that is probably the only thing that comes to my mind.
It's mainly about the smack and phatness of the Drums and the Bass - the phatter the Drums, the better. in DNB there's nearly no "too much" when it comes to smack, 'xcept a too high level of course. I get what you mean and it's a reasonable comment on the snare right here, it's just that it is what the genre is all about. Smile

//edit:
Additionally, this mix is now available as the preview in the library - probably only interesting for people who just discover the track, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Tongue
Thank you, John! your comments were quite encouraging despite the first kick shock I gave you Smile
mixing since April 2013
'ola Juan,

key requirement for club-type music is mono compatibility. flick your gear to mono and see what happens to the energy level. also check to see what drops back in the mix...and whether those instruments are important to the groove or merely supplemental. if supplemental, that's fine, you can afford to lose some prominence. however, if it's important, you will need to address this. do you know how?

listening in stereo, this is fatiguing because of the flab down in the low-mid range, so there's scope to apply some EQ cuts in appropriate places.

i'd recommend you keep bass well out of material you place to the outsides of your mix, and if they have bass (eg less than 150-200Hz'ish)...to force this filtered bass only to run down the center where it belongs, leaving the high-passed content to the side. you want something like this: http://bozdigitallabs.com/product/mono-bass/ there is a free VST which i use, but darned if i can remember it's name - i just load it up blindfolded! :/

i use mine in 2 places, depending...
- on a specific instrument (typically synths in the main...but think beyond this!)
- on the stereo buss, so everything gets filtered accordingly.

remember, bass is non-directional, so any of this stuff floating around aimlessly in the stereo field is superfluous to requirements (i.e. best avoided)

be aware of the consequences of down-mixing stereo to mono. if your mix bangs in mono, you'll be shaking the planet in stereo, but it never works the other way around Wink

i won't comment on the other technical stuff, because it's rather superficial as far as i am concerned. what's important is the stuff that gets in the way of enjoyment....and for me, i've flagged up the critical element above.

critical decision before even touching a project, is defining IN ADVANCE, whether your mix is going to wave a middle finger at mono and go full-out stereo, or you intend to make concessions eg for suitability regarding radio play, clubs, and other mono environments...including smartphone speakers!

i liked your approach to the mix (in v1.0...this had passion). your vision was really great.

laters
Dave
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!