Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
By My Side - Mixed By Steef
Here's my mix of this song "By My Side".

A fun, but big challenge. Especially the mic bleed of the different tracks was quite a job.
Also spent time getting the brass-section tight.

I am very curious what you think of my mix and look forward to your input.

.mp3    By My Side_MixedBySteef.mp3 --  (Download: 8.99 MB)

Hi Steef!
Here are a few quick comments on your mix. Overall, nice job! It's really tricky dealing with the bleed on these tracks. You've managed to make it sound really clean and clear.

My mix is quite soaked in reverb, while yours is really dry. You should reference some Al Green for the classic dry 70s soul sound. "Don't Give Up On Me" by Solomon Burke is a cool modern take on that sound.

A few things I think you can improve:
- The drum tones. The drums sound quite unnatural to me. The kick should have more thump and less click. The high hat sounds too harsh. A low pass filter could help smooth it out.
- Reverb. I think the mix sounds too flat. If you want to keep the mix feeling dry, short reverb and slap back delay could help add some space and glue things together. The vocal reverb sound strange to me and just pulls it further from the rest of the instruments.
- This seems excessively loud. Things get pretty harsh in the loud part towards the end, I think that might be because you have pushed the volume so hard.

I hope this was helpful,
Frej