Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesu meine Freude
Hi all, my first post. I thought it would be good to describe what I have done. I'd love to hear some comments!
My objectives: bring the voices upfront, nice and clear, with a sense of space; let the oboe stand out, but behind the voices; create warmth and fullness in the orchestra. 

I ended up with quite a bit of editing, I'd love to get comments no that. Obviously, it would be ideal to keep everything transparent - but the recording was pretty poor. Here is what I did to each track:
Front mic: This is my master track since it is the only track with a balanced sound. Boost bass: shelf 182Hz. Improve bass 'readability' with boost 500 1.5dB. Create presence for vocal with boost 2k 1.5dB. Reduce harpsichord pluck shrillness narrow dip 6300 -4dB. To even things out: parallel compression 1.9:1 at low threshold with fast attack and release. Gentle Hall reverb.

Voice spot: EQ high pass and some boosts for clarity. Downward expander to duck out the other instruments form the track. CLA-2A opto compressor to smooth things out and make the vocal stand out well. gentle plate reverb.

Low strings spot: Aggressive EQ lowpass 350 24dB/octave to focus on the actual bass string sounds (which are very weak). pan slight right where I thought they are sitting. I thought that was the only way to get some bass warmth in the track. 

High strings spot: discarded. Crap recording. 
Overhead (1): gently compressed
Overhead (2): focused hard on the oboe, high pass 300, dynamic EQ at 1750 (core oboe sound), then some gentle compression for a smooth delivery. Gentle plate reverb

Mix Buss: PSP Vintage Warmer 2, because it always makes things sound better. 

'Master': iZotope9, used their Master Assistant, that sounded pretty good. (I am not very good at Mastering yet, so was happy to take the AI suggestion here)  :-)

.mp3    Jesu meine Freude v1.mp3 --  (Download: 1.38 MB)

I like the fact I can hear the two vocals of the mix upfront...