Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May's 'On The Line - Cefes Mix
Hello,

Here is my attempt at this one.

Thanks for listening!

.mp3    James May\'s \'On The Line - Cefes Mix....mp3 --  (Download: 9.8 MB)

Overall I think the mix could use maybe some readjusting is seems to me the Stand Up Bass when it come in overpowers the entire mix and vibe that you had created with the Reverb and Delay.
On the topic of effects, I like your use of them but they could all probably come down a tad some just to clean up the mix and give both his voice and the instruments a little bit more clarity.

Great job though!
Hey mate, thanks for your comments. I revised the mix and you were totally right about the bass. I think im still struggling to get it right due to the room im working in is a bit tricky.

Anyhow, while working on the bass I did change a few other balances and sends etc. Let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot!

.mp3    James May\'s \'On The Line - Cefes Mix......mp3 --  (Download: 9.79 MB)

Room problems are a joy, in that case I'd trust the headphones

On the mix it sounds better much more balanced, good job!
I like your balance quite a bit, I can hear every instrument pretty clearly and sonically it's a very comfortable listen. Sounds like you faired pretty well with very limited compression usage, which I was not able to manage. Big Grin

There's an overstrong frequency on the bass in the lower mids that's resisting your attempts to rebalance it, I think. I don't think the level in the original was too loud persay, I just think that booger resonant area is much too strong, which is always a problem with some bass guitars, even with a DI signal. Many times the pickups aren't very well balanced so some strings will be much louder than others, and it's a real trick to try and fix that. I think in this case a little dose of multiband compression might make a difference if you feel it's a problem.

Overall I like the roominess you've given the track, but I think the level is a bit too high and the reverb setting is more diffuse than it should be, or perhaps too long and lacking in early reflections? I imagine if you just dipped the reverb about 3 decibels and favored any delay returns for more present instruments it might improve your clarity, although as it stands I think it's a very clear mix.

I'm most impressed by limited or very transparent compression and clarity in this mix... you've done great work, here!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!