Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Piece of Me" mix by Franz
Hello everyone and especially to Blitzzz who had already given me excellent advice.

Here is my mix of "Piece of Me". It does not seem too difficult to mix but along the way we realize that it It is quite different.
It takes "punch" and "clarity", already difficult to achieve together and in addition you have to find an overall "sound" which reflects the original idea of the title.
Good listening and tell me everything !
Franz

.mp3    DARK RIDE -Piece Of Me- mix by Franz.mp3 --  (Download: 12.35 MB)

Hi all,

After some thoughts and hesitation, I remade the mix and the master of "Piece Of Me". Much better than the previous version but it will never be perfect.

Happy listening and don't hesitate to leave me your comments.

Take care of yourself

Franz

.mp3    DARK RIDE-Piece Of Me- master V2 by Franz.mp3 --  (Download: 12.33 MB)

I like V1's guitar sound. Problem: The mix itself is very fizzy, especially the Hhat. That`s much better in V2, but that mix has a bit too much rumbling, uncontrolled low end coming from the bass.

Vocals have too much fx in both mixes; the singer sounds like he`s in a cave, while the band was playing in a normal room. The difference is too big and therefore, both mixes sound implausible. The vocals are also too loud in some spots, e.g. in the last chorus. I can hear none of the small guitar melodies in the end, which add an important element to make the song interesting. Even the snare "disappears" with the rest of the shells of the drumkit from time to time.

I miss definition on the snare in V2. E.g. I can't hear any ghost notes before the short transition from second chorus to bridge. The snare also sounds like the drummer is always hitting it with the same velocity and the only thing that changes is the volume. This especially obvious in the bridge which should sound small and fragile compared with the rest of the song, but the snare just hits with the same velocity as in the verse/chorus, just with less volume.

Also, you should always check Trigger (I assume you have used Trigger to replace the snare) and compare every part with the original drums. I can clearly hear ghost notes that are treated like regular hits in the black metal part at 03:38.
Hi Blitzzz,

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my mixes. Your remarks are completely correct and relevant. So I put all the faders to zero and redo the whole thing, following your advice very closely. So here is my V3. I hope you will find it acceptable, knowing that it is almost impossible to reach the excellent master level of "Piece Of Me".

Franz

.mp3    PIECE OF ME V3 by Franz.mp3 --  (Download: 12.31 MB)

Hey Franz, it`s all about the journey, not the end result. If you can learn something from this song that helps you in the future, I would be really, really happy. You also don`t have to copy my mix, although I sometimes write comments that somehow sound like that's what I´m looking for. I´m not =) There are several mixes on this forum that completely blew me away in terms of power and creativity, but they also got the the basics right.

So, enough rambling, keep up the good work, mate!
Hi all,

Thank you for your comments ... and encouragement !

Yes, this title is very interesting and we learn a lot of things. The purpose is not to imitate the original master, this is very clear, but to allow everyone to express their personal sensitivity on the subject.

Mission accomplished, here is my final mix ....

Franz

.mp3    Piece of me MIX FINAL par Franz.mp3 --  (Download: 12.31 MB)

And here is the final BIS version

.mp3    Piece of Me - MIX FINAL BIS poar Franz.mp3 --  (Download: 12.26 MB)