Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skelpolu-Human Mistakes
Hello!

Mixed in first place with headphone and an iPod speaker (you know the black one or withe of logitech) and then finished in my home studio.

Any advice welcome Wink

All best

.mp3    Skepolu-HumanMistakesR1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.93 MB)

Your hihat sound is awesome! That one works great.

I don't think taking the low end out of the bass was a good idea. This mix essentially has no bass whatsoever anymore. At least the majority of the mainstream DnB I've listened to (Pendulum, Rudimental) feature those super deep sine wave basses with a comparably tighter kick drum. In general your mix is a bit light in the low end for a DnB song.

I'm kinda missing the backing vocals in the choruses. I felt they were one of the few things which lifted the mood up to make a difference from the verse. And your mix is now missing it. If you weren't that hot for them, maybe using them only for the third chorus since that seems to be the "deadest" spot in the song's dynamic arch.
(03-03-2014, 07:57 PM)Spede Wrote: Your hihat sound is awesome! That one works great.

I don't think taking the low end out of the bass was a good idea. This mix essentially has no bass whatsoever anymore. At least the majority of the mainstream DnB I've listened to (Pendulum, Rudimental) feature those super deep sine wave basses with a comparably tighter kick drum. In general your mix is a bit light in the low end for a DnB song.

I'm kinda missing the backing vocals in the choruses. I felt they were one of the few things which lifted the mood up to make a difference from the verse. And your mix is now missing it. If you weren't that hot for them, maybe using them only for the third chorus since that seems to be the "deadest" spot in the song's dynamic arch.

Hi Spade!
I see your point, I will boost more the low end of my bass, strange I did't cut it, my go was mult the bass and add the band between 30 and 90 Hz with fader, gonna push it more Wink for backing I should go and treat them also in some way (now i didn't, them dry and without any treatment maybe just a de-esser) thanks for the input Wink

Thanks again and all best.

Jacques
Hi!

Pushed the low end and made the choir more interesting...also some more EQ tweeks in some area...let me know if is better Wink

All best

Jacques

.mp3    Skepolu-HumanMistakesR2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.93 MB)

Hey Jacques,
the second version of the Mix seems better than the first, but I cant get it in my head that you kept a lot of things in Mono.
Pendulum likes to have some parts in nearly ONLY mono, which works great, but not if it's almost always mono - try some reverb & delay in stereo, really makes a difference! Smile
In any case, the mix sounds a bit like you took out a lof ot mids, especially near the low-mids.

Critizism aside, the overall balance in volume seems quite legit, suits Drum & Bass, just the Piano seems to die a bit.
If to consider that you mixed this with headphones and an iPod speaker, it's rather good actually!
Just do yourself a favor and try to get access to some stereo speakers, it really does a lot to how you mix things! Smile

With best regards, mate!
(06-03-2014, 09:35 PM)Skelpolu Wrote: Hey Jacques,
the second version of the Mix seems better than the first, but I cant get it in my head that you kept a lot of things in Mono.
Pendulum likes to have some parts in nearly ONLY mono, which works great, but not if it's almost always mono - try some reverb & delay in stereo, really makes a difference! Smile
In any case, the mix sounds a bit like you took out a lof ot mids, especially near the low-mids.

Critizism aside, the overall balance in volume seems quite legit, suits Drum & Bass, just the Piano seems to die a bit.
If to consider that you mixed this with headphones and an iPod speaker, it's rather good actually!
Just do yourself a favor and try to get access to some stereo speakers, it really does a lot to how you mix things! Smile

With best regards, mate!

Hi!
Thanks for yours critizism I'll look back for more wide stereo reverbs/delay, and give back some mid low.

The second mix is mixed in my home studio were I got a pair of AdamA7 just to clarify Wink

Thanks again and all best !!!

Jacques
Hi!

I went back and do some correction were Skepolu point is finger Wink

I put a limiter on piano to give back some life, and also to some synt.
I looked on reverbs and delay and I noticed that they were already all stereo so I wide, with some stereo image, some synts.
I also pan a bit left and right the two bass synt to get more stereo image and give space in center for kick and bass.
I'd with EQ gave some low mid information.
And I put my master limiter at -2 dB (instead -1dB) to have even more loudness Smile

Hope you enjoy it Wink

All best

Jacques

.mp3    Skepolu-HumanMistakesR3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.93 MB)

(10-03-2014, 09:02 AM)Jacques Wrote: I went back and do some correction were Skepolu point is finger Wink

Up to this point, each subsequent mix has been an improvement. However this one here, I feel, is a step backwards from your last attempt. Specific points:

(10-03-2014, 09:02 AM)Jacques Wrote: I put a limiter on piano to give back some life . . .

Ouch. Certainly you can hear the piano better but its unnatural loudness makes me feel like the piano's string hammers are actually smacking me on my forehead. I'd advise dropping the limiter and just try bringing the level of the piano up instead.

(10-03-2014, 09:02 AM)Jacques Wrote: I looked on reverbs and delay and I noticed that they were already all stereo so I wide, with some stereo image, some synts.
I also pan a bit left and right the two bass synt to get more stereo image and give space in center for kick and bass.

Skelpolu themselves pointed out that everything was squashed to the middle, which I agree. The reverbs and delay help a little, but not much.

Panning the bass synth doesn't do much. You have to remember that low frequency sounds are omnidirectional; the lower the frequency the less directional the sound. I'd recommend panning tracks with more high frequency content; that'll spread out your stereo image.

(10-03-2014, 09:02 AM)Jacques Wrote: I'd with EQ gave some low mid information.

That's an improvement. Smile

(10-03-2014, 09:02 AM)Jacques Wrote: And I put my master limiter at -2 dB (instead -1dB) to have even more loudness Smile

And that explains why it was so fatiguing to listen to; it sounded "squashed" to me. Bear in mind that even my own mix of this song only has a dynamic range of 10 dB and I used no limiting or compression on my master buss; I'm sure anyone who follows my postings knows full well how I feel about that. Rolleyes This song definitely does not benefit from master limiting IMHO.

Also, and this seems to be unique to this version of your mix, the vocals get totally buried in the last minute to minute and a half of the song; I think it might be caused by a combination of your master limiting and the limiting on the piano that's doing it. You might try taking out the limiting and bringing the overall level of the vocals up one or two dB.

Actually, to be honest, aside from the fact that it had almost no stereo and no body to the kick drum and bass I actually preferred your original mix, particularly that way it fades in from muffled to clear; that was a cool opening. Smile Also, I love the echo effect you have going on the vocal here, so much so that I decided to try it in my own mix (check out the thread on my mix to hear it)! Big Grin
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince