Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Judders' Mirror
Phew!  Super busy arrangement.  Not an easy one to mix, because some elements have to lose out.  I decided to concentrate on those great vocals, and as long as listeners hear a few seconds of any of the loops then they can be in the background.

...and I immediately upped the drums' level and spliced in some more BV's at the end.

Mix C is a new one from scratch.

.mp3    How_To_Make_A_Mirror_Judders.mp3 --  (Download: 5.1 MB)

.mp3    How_To_Make_A_Mirror_Judders_B.mp3 --  (Download: 5.1 MB)

.mp3    How_To_Make_A_Mirror_Judders_C.mp3 --  (Download: 5 MB)

Hello Judders!
I like more the "B" mix. Has more stereo image and i can hear more eximent from the instrumets.
I think It needs a tinny bit of polish in the low end, but in general nothing to worry about it.
Cheers!
(27-11-2021, 09:06 PM)Unknow Mixer Wrote: Hello Judders!
I like more the "B" mix. Has more stereo image and i can hear more eximent from the instrumets.
I think It needs a tinny bit of polish in the low end, but in general nothing to worry about it.
Cheers!
Interesting! The 2 mixes are identical, except the drums in B are about 2dB louder!

I'm not surprised about the low end, I am stuck working entirely on headphones at the moment.

Thanks for listening and leaving a comment!
Hey Judders , The vocals sound a little bit muffled in the verses and the mix as a whole sounds a bit on the dry side, The flute has this annoying 2k peak that just pops out of the mix , it can be heard the most in the intro and chorus. I like the automation choices and the drums, sounds good overall just a couple things here and there , And did you add in the pre roll breath?
(02-12-2021, 11:42 AM)latanielvss. Wrote: Hey Judders , The vocals sound a little bit muffled in the verses and the mix as a whole sounds a bit on the dry side, The flute has this annoying 2k peak that just pops out of the mix , it can be heard the most in the intro and chorus. I like the automation choices and the drums, sounds good overall just a couple things here and there , And did you add in the pre roll breath?
All of those were deliberate choices.  I loved the freshness of the raw multitracks, so only added a short ambience to the lead vocal.  There's longer reverbs on some of the backing vocals and strings, but I wanted it dry, especially as it gets so convoluted as an arrangement.

The spikey flutes and muffled vocal were also due to conscious decisions, I wanted the flutes to poke through when turned down quite a lot and to have a vintage midrange kind of bark, and the vocal I wanted to have a fair amount of body because of the lack of bass in the tune.  If I overcooked them it was probably due to not being able to monitor on speakers.

The breath is at the start of one or both of the flute tracks.  I liked it as a beginning.
Hi!

Overall I did find this session overly bright and transient. With that in mind I think you've a done a good job tone wise here. I do feel the vocal is perhaps a little bit too far forward here though, compared to the instrumentation. As a result to me it doesn't sound quite as cohesive and connected as it might?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(04-12-2021, 09:30 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Overall I did find this session overly bright and transient.  With that in mind I think you've a done a good job tone wise here.  I do feel the vocal is perhaps a little bit too far forward here though, compared to the instrumentation.  As a result to me it doesn't sound quite as cohesive and connected as it might?

Cheers!
Hey Mike, thanks for the feedback.  Think I'll start this one from scratch again at some point!

Not sure if it's my ears or my headphones lacking in high frequencies... maybe both!
I started again from scratch, with a mellower tonal balance and more buried vocal.
(12-12-2021, 10:21 PM)Judders Wrote: I started again from scratch, with a mellower tonal balance and more buried vocal.
That's mix C right? Just had a listen and I really like it! Especially the layered chorus vocals are sitting really nicely together, would love to know what you did there :) All in all it's got zesty life and chewy depths. Props!
WhittenAnd
bit.ly/whittenand
(04-02-2022, 01:52 PM)WhittenAnd Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 10:21 PM)Judders Wrote: I started again from scratch, with a mellower tonal balance and more buried vocal.
That's mix C right? Just had a listen and I really like it! Especially the layered chorus vocals are sitting really nicely together, would love to know what you did there Smile All in all it's got zesty life and chewy depths. Props!
Hey thanks for listening and taking the time to comment!

Props to you for writing such a great song, and double props for letting us play with it. Smile

The backing vocals were compressed to hell, de-essed to smitherines, and involved no panning whatsoever.  All width came from modulation effects to keep them out of the centre.  Either Satin set up as an ADT effect or one instance of the Arturia Dimension D plugin.  See screenshot below for my BV folder.

Thanks again, this one was a joy to play around with!

Thumbnail(s)