Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Mistakes (Sano mix)
My mix, comments welcomed!

.m4a    Human Mistakes (Sano mix).m4a --  (Download: 9.54 MB)

two seconds after the song started, only a word crossed my mind: WOW!

I love the energy and the sound of the whole mix you got here!! (great vocal fx and synths!!!)
mixing since April 2013
Powerful low end indeed. Good job there. Perhaps the snare was too dark here. If you feel that simply EQ:ing it brighter makes it too snappy, little bit of distortion instead might be good way enhance the harmonics.

The synth part which syncopates with the bass is out of phase L/R -wise. If I mono this mix, that synth part disappears almost completely.

I personally felt the way treated the noise track pretty much obliterated it's musical purpose in this song; I'm not hearing the ascending or descending effect anymore (mood amping up or settling down), now it sounds like there's just some random phaser noise here and there throughout the song.

While the low end works great here, I felt filling up the high mid range (2-4 kHz) bit more (especially for the choruses) might make this mix even better. I'm talking about say, distorting the piano a bit (or one of the pads) to put some action to that area.

Despite my apparent harsh criticism I still felt this was quite a solid mix and definitely one of the better ones posted in this song's subforum.
(03-03-2014, 06:34 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: two seconds after the song started, only a word crossed my mind: WOW!

I love the energy and the sound of the whole mix you got here!! (great vocal fx and synths!!!)

Thanks juanjose Smile
(03-03-2014, 08:29 PM)Spede Wrote: Powerful low end indeed. Good job there. Perhaps the snare was too dark here. If you feel that simply EQ:ing it brighter makes it too snappy, little bit of distortion instead might be good way enhance the harmonics.

The synth part which syncopates with the bass is out of phase L/R -wise. If I mono this mix, that synth part disappears almost completely.

I personally felt the way treated the noise track pretty much obliterated it's musical purpose in this song; I'm not hearing the ascending or descending effect anymore (mood amping up or settling down), now it sounds like there's just some random phaser noise here and there throughout the song.

While the low end works great here, I felt filling up the high mid range (2-4 kHz) bit more (especially for the choruses) might make this mix even better. I'm talking about say, distorting the piano a bit (or one of the pads) to put some action to that area.

Despite my apparent harsh criticism I still felt this was quite a solid mix and definitely one of the better ones posted in this song's subforum.

Thanks for your comments Spede. You've gave me some great feedback there. I had a quick listen back within the project and I see what you mean about the phase of the synth when collapsed to mono. I gave it a lot of stereo width and I guess it left it like this.

I'll have a go at fixing these suggestions and repost soon Smile
I implemented the changes spede suggested. I think it sounds better now.

The out of phase synth was a compromise between width and mono compatibility. I dialled it back but was reluctant to lose that width, but hopefully I've achieved a better balance now.

.m4a    Human Mistakes-2 (Sano mix).m4a --  (Download: 9.52 MB)

Sounds very good with the low end so enhanced. Vox sound great, too, and your use of blending send returns is quite a bit better than mine. Bell synth sounds fantastic and the stereo spread is much improved.

Only issue I have is that the bass has a buzzing in the upper frequencies that distracts me, especially when the line goes for more power. a -3db to maybe -6 high shelf around 500 did the trick for me if you're hearing it, too. My room and monitoring is booty.

Great improvement over mix one, I'm especially impressed with the blending verbs and delays.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Right away I must agree with the others: The bass is really growling! Very nice use of effects right there! Smile
I personally disagree when I hear that the snare is supposed to be too dark - it seems a bit too low in volume, in fact.
the kick seems fine, though I'd probably paranoically add 0.5dB to it, for good measure.

I adooooore the effects used in this mix in general, just lovely! This track is indeed fairly simplistic in composition and effects,
but exactly you did what I wanted to see: People getting creative! Smile

In Drum & Bass, the vocals ain't that important, the overall - you guessed it - Drums and the Bass are the things to be focused on.
Since you've used such a nice & original bass, I'd like to see some more of it, keep it up man!
Thanks for listening. It's great to hear feedback from the creator of the track.

The bass did become my main focus, so it's great that you like it. I centered the lower frequencies and distorted and spread the higher frequencies to make it big and stand out.

The synths in general had a little distortion added also to give them a little texture.
(07-03-2014, 08:04 PM)sano Wrote: The synths in general had a little distortion added also to give them a little texture.

Which, actually, was the source of my only major problem with this track. The others here liked the bell synth but I didn't; I found the distortion on it a bit grating and it was way too loud; I'd dial it down about 3 dB and remove the distortion.

Aside from that, though, I though this was really good. Nice, solid bass going on here, too. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince