Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Whitten And. Williams - How To Make A Mirror
Hi,

My attempt.  One with added beat, one without.

Cheers!

Update: Added v 1.0

.mp3    Whitten And - How To Make A Mirror (mikej loon beat mix).mp3 --  (Download: 4.97 MB)

.mp3    Whitten And - How To Make A Mirror.mp3 --  (Download: 4.97 MB)

.mp3    Whitten And - How To Make A Mirror 1.0 (mikej loon beat mix).mp3 --  (Download: 4.97 MB)

.mp3    Whitten And - How To Make A Mirror 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 4.97 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi Mikej!
Nice mix!! all elements are on the suite spot. For my taste, the lead vocals ir a bit muddy and the the mix needs a bit of air.
But are really little things.
Good job!
Pep from Pepus Estudi
Bus-Comp Warm-Audio, Focal Alpha 80, Klark Teknik 76-KT, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, X Touch One Behringer, Arturia MiniLab mkII, 
Mackie Big Knob, Sonarworks SoundID Reference,
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Thanks for giving it a listen! Yes you are right about the vocals. I added some lows to the vocal and completely forgot to clean it up a bit afterwards. To be honest I found this very tough to mix. All the elements are quite bright and transient. I probably buried the dulcimer and flutes bit too much as well. I was basically attempting to try and add some sort of focus to the whole thing. I also struggled with the stereo balance too, due to the comped stems.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi Mike
I really like the beat version that you made.
Awesome work.
I think both of the tracks nice balanced but for my taste i think that they needs a bit of polish on the low end.
Cheers!
Hi!

Thanks for the comments. Mix 1.0 added.

Cheers!
(21-11-2021, 10:13 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Thanks for the comments.  Mix 1.0 added.

Cheers!
Yeah! Much better.
Also, very interesting the panning choices that you made in the vocals
Cheers!
Thanks. Not too sure if the vocal panning was actually a good idea or not! I think I felt that it might add some movement/interest.

Cheers!
(25-11-2021, 08:04 PM)mikej Wrote: Thanks.  Not too sure if the vocal panning was actually a good idea or not! I think I felt that it might add some movement/interest.

Cheers!
It feels nice.
It gives a different taste to the mix. It sounds different to other mixes uploaded.
As you mentioned, adds movement, and the interaction between the vocals sound interesting
Cheers!
Lots to like in this mix, I don't mind the vocal panning at all, it's kinda cool.

The one thing that jumps out at me is the bass flute masking the vocals. Lots of overlap in similar territory.
(26-11-2021, 11:33 PM)Judders Wrote: Lots to like in this mix, I don't mind the vocal panning at all, it's kinda cool.

The one thing that jumps out at me is the bass flute masking the vocals.  Lots of overlap in similar territory.

Thanks. Is it just the low mids of the bass flute and vocal that you feel are clashing a bit too much?

Cheers!