Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BaumXmedia: 'Dream State' (feat Flora Lin)
BaumXmedia: 'Dream State' (feat Flora Lin)
quick one, its getting a bit processor hungry

.mp3    Dreamstate.mp3 --  (Download: 5.28 MB)

Hi!

Had a quick couple of listens and had some thoughts -

I feel that everything seems to be getting in the way of each other a little bit with this mix and as a result the vocal is getting lost. My thinking is that if *everything* is compressed to be punchy and hard hitting, then actually nothing is punchy and hard hitting. For my taste you have got to have a bit more contrast. I'd suggest maybe picking 2 or 3 main elements, then build everything around that. I think you can get quite a bit more of a sense of space and width out of this one maybe?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(15-11-2021, 08:45 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Had a quick couple of listens and had some thoughts -

I feel that everything seems to be getting in the way of each other a little bit with this mix and as a result the vocal is getting lost.  My thinking is that if *everything* is compressed to be punchy and hard hitting, then actually nothing is punchy and hard hitting.  For my taste you have got to have a bit more contrast.  I'd suggest maybe picking 2 or 3 main elements, then build everything around that.  I think you can get quite a bit more of a sense of space and width out of this one maybe?

Cheers!
Hi mike

thanks for listening, i actually have 3 compressors in serial on the mixbus, wasnt meant to be finished like that, but no compression anywhere else except the drums bass and vocal i think. I gave up for now because the amount of eq's is slowing down the cpu too much, so  i need to go in and change some for less intensive ones to finish off, i will keep your advice in mind when i return to it
Only the 3 compressors on the mix bus? I think the main thing for me would be to get a bit more space around the vocal if you can. Are you able to freeze some tracks if the processing is getting a bit heavy?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(15-11-2021, 09:14 PM)mikej Wrote: Only the 3 compressors on the mix bus? I think the main thing for me would be to get a bit more space around the vocal if you can.  Are you able to freeze some tracks if the processing is getting a bit heavy?

Cheers!
lol, i was playing around with the vbc rack and had all of them on, i didnt post this as a serious mix just if its here i will definately go back at some point. With the eq they are mostly q3 about 12 of them and it really isnt necessary just used for speed trying to get a base together easily fixed. Not sure about freezing still learning the software
I thought the 3 compressors thing sounded a bit Dave Pensado actually! I think it's limiters he stacked up though - each one just knocking off a db or so.
(15-11-2021, 09:29 PM)mikej Wrote: I thought the 3 compressors thing sounded a bit Dave Pensado actually! I think it's limiters he stacked up though - each one just knocking off a db or so.
Oh make no mistake there is a limiter after aswell haha, its doing exactly that about 1 db per comp and high passed on them all so not reacting below 150hz its a great plugin imo
Any better?

.mp3    Dreamstate.mp3 --  (Download: 5.23 MB)

.mp3    Dreamstate 2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.21 MB)

Hi!

Much much better! Really good!

Interestingly I did give the first mix a listen on earbuds earlier and the vocal sounded a bit better on those to me. The earbuds I've got have quite a bit of high end rolloff, so it might have been more the high freqs of the synths, etc that were clashing a bit with the vocal.

Cheers!
(16-11-2021, 05:27 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Much much better!  Really good! 

Interestingly I did give the first mix a listen on earbuds earlier and the vocal sounded a bit better on those to me.  The earbuds I've got have quite a bit of high end rolloff, so it might have been more the high freqs of the synths, etc that were clashing a bit with the vocal.

Cheers!
Thanks yes i tamed the highs in some parts(these multis seems really bright) and added some more to the reverb also was a bit surgical on the vocal eq