Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Psychopath - Re-mixed by Jack Hutcheson
Hey everyone!

Some background: This is a song that was written as part of a 3 track EP titled "The Dark Triad" that I released in mid-September. This particular track was my pride and joy of the EP, as it was the most challenging to write but the most rewarding. While as a one man team with little budget I'm proud of the release, looking back there were a few things I wasn't happy with on the mix. Listening to all the mixes so far has been fun and inspired me to take another crack at it, and address some of the things I personally wasn't happy with. So here goes!

Things I tried to address in the original:

- Fizzy, pointy guitars
- Somewhat boomy bass guitar/low end in general
- Making the strings more present and part of the song
- Mix a bit over-compressed and fatiguing to the ear

Anyway, here's the re-mixed version. I hope you enjoy, and as always all comments welcome.

.mp3    The Psychopath Remixed.mp3 --  (Download: 15.03 MB)

Jack Hutcheson - The Dark Triad EP
Spotify - AppleMusic  - YouTubeMusic

My Mixes
(09-11-2021, 08:51 PM)NotJack Wrote: Hey everyone!

Some background: This is a song that was written as part of a 3 track EP titled "The Dark Triad" that I released in mid-September. This particular track was my pride and joy of the EP, as it was the most challenging to write but the most rewarding. While as a one man team with little budget I'm proud of the release, looking back there were a few things I wasn't happy with on the mix. Listening to all the mixes so far has been fun and inspired me to take another crack at it, and address some of the things I personally wasn't happy with. So here goes!

Things I tried to address in the original:

- Fizzy, pointy guitars
- Somewhat boomy bass guitar/low end in general
- Making the strings more present and part of the song
- Mix a bit over-compressed and fatiguing to the ear

Anyway, here's the re-mixed version. I hope you enjoy, and as always all comments welcome.
Hi NotJack,
Overall a good mix, for me a bit too dark and a bit too small from the drums.
And i'm missing a bit the space overall.
everything that you wanted to change above did you very good. 
but that is only my taste, says nothing!  Smile
I like it, Orch up but not over riding the guitar, a place for everything and everything in its place. Maybe up a bit overall drum Vol. I like the grit added to the guitars, sounds full now!!
Everyone hears it a little different....
House of Bedlam - YouTube
Just want to say thanks for sharing the multis with us, it was a fun track to mix and well made
(09-11-2021, 09:50 PM)GP-Mix Wrote: Hi NotJack,
Overall a good mix, for me a bit too dark and a bit too small from the drums.
And i'm missing a bit the space overall.
everything that you wanted to change above did you very good. 
but that is only my taste, says nothing!  Smile

Thanks for the input, I see what you mean, with the drums I was kinda going for the "Nolly Getgood" style, which gets them really fat, but after another listen I think they could benefit from some more presence and snap.

(12-11-2021, 01:29 PM)HouseOfBedlam Wrote: I like it, Orch up but not over riding the guitar, a place for everything and everything in its place. Maybe up a bit overall drum Vol. I like the grit added to the guitars, sounds full now!!

Thanks, this is something I am always struggling with; leveling the drums, particularly against the guitars, to avoid having the transients too loud for the final master. I occasionally end up making them too quiet.

(12-11-2021, 06:09 PM)Y Wrote: Just want to say thanks for sharing the multis with us, it was a fun track to mix and well made

No problem, I have a few more songs that I think I will contribute in the future. And thanks for your appreciation.
Jack Hutcheson - The Dark Triad EP
Spotify - AppleMusic  - YouTubeMusic

My Mixes
I think this mix sounds great! I think the drums sound great, maybe just a tad bright and dryish feeling. Something like a heavy 50hz wide reverb on the kick with a predelay would give a nice room feeling to the drums. 
Also wanna say thanks for sharing these tracks they were fun to mix and I look forward to more! Smile
thank you for the great song!
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer