Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'Eyes'
Figured I would give it a go, I love mixing some telefunken tracks! Smile

Update v2 - Fixed the volume perception of the Guitar and Vocal track, reworked some EQs and added a compressor on the Masterbus with a hp filter at 25 just kissing it a few DBs  Smile

.mp3    Eyes.mp3 --  (Download: 10.51 MB)

.mp3    Eyesv2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.51 MB)

Hi!

I've given this a good listen. Bear in mind I've been listening to my mix a bit too much to be properly objective, so my comments might not actually be of much use! I did reference the Telefunken video mix a bit too though.

Your mix is punchy and upfront which I like. I feel you could maybe back off the limiter a bit though? I think it's perhaps a touch on the loud side for this kind of material (and as you know I try to get my mixes loud too).

Polish wise - I think the lead guitar could be a bit brighter, and for this style the lead vocal could maybe sit back in the mix with the rest of the band a little more? Not sure if you do this already - it might also be worth trying a little high/low pass before the reverb. Maybe the bass could be a little tighter in places too.

I don't know how you found this one. For me the main challenges are trying to get the balance right, also with respect to the bleed, and keeping that slightly boxy room tone in check whilst having everything sound somewhat 'natural'.

Anyway., keep it up!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(09-11-2021, 06:45 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

I've given this a good listen.  Bear in mind I've been listening to my mix a bit too much to be properly objective, so my comments might not actually be of much use!  I did reference the Telefunken video mix a bit too though.

Your mix is punchy and upfront which I like.  I feel you could maybe back off the limiter a bit though? I think it's perhaps a touch on the loud side for this kind of material (and as you know I try to get my mixes loud too). 

Polish wise - I think the lead guitar could be a bit brighter, and for this style the lead vocal could maybe sit back in the mix with the rest of the band a little more?  Not sure if you do this already - it might also be worth trying a little high/low pass before the reverb.  Maybe the bass could be a little tighter in places too. 

I don't know how you found this one.  For me the main challenges are trying to get the balance right, also with respect to the bleed, and keeping that slightly boxy room tone in check whilst having everything sound somewhat 'natural'.

Anyway., keep it up!

Cheers!
thanks for the Listen Smile Your comment is definitely spot on, I think your mix is proper enough to have a good sense of what needs to be done to this song. I believe the first mix was too loud because of the Vocal track and Drum transients, I really have to be careful no tot over push things in these headphones. Adding the compressor on the Master before the limiter really cleaned up the transients and gave the song a more solid feel.

I brightened up the Main guitar and EQd down the, too loud 1k mids on the Vocals. I have both a main bass track, then a Reverb bass track that gives the bass a sense of room. The Reverb track sounded fine for the most part, but I think the initially bass transients were masking the Kick. I already had a sidechained compressor from the kick on both of these tracks, but didn't have it set right. I got it compressing around 4db now with A fast attack, very slight knee, and a release of around 480ms I think gives the bass a lovely feel to the song.

My biggest challenge is usually with EQ, just getting the Perception of things correctly, since I like to over listen to the mix as I go. My first mix is typically the best one because I work fast with fresh ears and get right to the point with bold moves on everything. Then When I wanna go back and fix just a few flaws here and there, I end up changing so much more than I should and that magic balance of the first mix is forever gone. Also, until I upgrade from this Focusrite interface I'll probably have this perception issue