Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lingua Funqa's 'Just One Minute' (EquilibriumMIX)
I wanted a vintage sound. I got it in the end, but it's not entirely clear if it's a good thing. Any opinions on that?

.mp3    Lingua Funqa\'s \'Just One Minute\'.mp3 --  (Download: 9.93 MB)

Alexander
(07-11-2021, 11:22 PM)Equilibrium Wrote: I wanted a vintage sound. I got it in the end, but it's not entirely clear if it's a good thing. Any opinions on that?
Hi Equilibrium! I think you have done a good job here to make it sound good with a nice balance. There is something about the kick that makes it feels sometimes a tiny bit too loud, at least on my monitors. Anyway, good job. Cheers!
Hi!

Not sure it sounds vintage? It's got too much high end in it to be 70's / too much low end to be 80's I think! Big Grin. Might be fun to try putting the mix through one of those 'vinyl' plugins though.

Yeah I too think it's a decent mix. For me I think I do prefer a little more reverb/delay on the strings for this kind of thing though perhaps? I agree with Heinim that there is something regarding the kick. It sounds to me that there could be an eq boost on the low end that needs tightening up a little perhaps? Or maybe it needs a tight eq boost on the low end so it can poke through and be a little lower in the mix, something like that? It kind of 'blooms' rather than punches. Worth taking a quick look at I would think, as everything else is in good shape here.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Thanks for the comments. Blossoming bass and crunchy treble probably isn't the best option. At one point I found the idea tempting. However, this concept hardly sounds right in this song.
Alexander
(08-11-2021, 12:38 AM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Not sure it sounds vintage?  It's got too much high end in it to be 70's / too much low end to be 80's I think! Big Grin.  Might be fun to try putting the mix through one of those 'vinyl' plugins though. 

Yeah I too think it's a decent mix.  For me I think I do prefer a little more reverb/delay on the strings for this kind of thing though perhaps?  I agree with Heinim that there is something regarding the kick.  It sounds to me that there could be an eq boost on the low end that needs tightening up a little perhaps? Or maybe it needs a tight eq boost on the low end so it can poke through and be a little lower in the mix, something like that?  It kind of 'blooms' rather than punches. Worth taking a quick look at I would think, as everything else is in good shape here.

Cheers!
Thanks  Smile
Alexander
(07-11-2021, 11:47 PM)heinim Wrote:
(07-11-2021, 11:22 PM)Equilibrium Wrote: I wanted a vintage sound. I got it in the end, but it's not entirely clear if it's a good thing. Any opinions on that?
Hi Equilibrium! I think you have done a good job here to make it sound good with a nice balance. There is something about the kick that makes it feels sometimes a tiny bit too loud, at least on my monitors. Anyway, good job. Cheers!
Thanks  Smile
Alexander