Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad Hollister Band - Eyes
Hi!

Thought I'd have a go at it.

Cheers!

.mp3    Chad Hollister Band - Eyes.mp3 --  (Download: 10.5 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
This was a fun mix to listen too! The tones of everything sound great. I haven't mixed this song myself. I do hear some strumming in the background and clean string picking sounds, which would sound even better with some more 12kish pushing, and in stereo if your fancy haha Anyways, really good mix! I'll probably listen to this one quiet a few times Big Grin
Hi!

Thanks for giving it a listen. Really appreciate the comments. I was using this track to try and work on my eq'ing actually, as I feel it's been a bit lacking of late. I've been watching some mixer interviews and things to try and remedy the situation. Yeah - there's an acoustic guitar up the middle, and a mandolin on the left. I have the acoustic in a more supporting role and it just kind of pokes through a bit here and there. I think your idea would work well for this track too, I can kind of hear it in my minds ear, so to speak.

It's a fun session to mix - highly recommended. The arrangement, playing and dynamics are all really good. I don't think I used any automation on this one, just eq and a bit of compression and reverb here and there. I'd suggesst using the Telefunken youtube mix as a reference for this one though, as the library mix seems to be quite 'pumping' and also quite glitchy to me? I used the condenser mic for the vocals in my mix as I kind of like that sort of 'spittiness' quality you get. Theres a dynamic mic lead vocal recording in there too which sounds really nice also - quite warm sounding I recall.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(07-11-2021, 11:39 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Thanks for giving it a listen. Really appreciate the comments.  I was using this track to try and work on my eq'ing actually, as I feel it's been a bit lacking of late.  I've been watching some mixer interviews and things to try and remedy the situation. Yeah - there's an acoustic guitar up the middle, and a mandolin on the left.  I have the acoustic in a more supporting role and it just kind of pokes through a bit here and there.  I think your idea would work well for this track too, I can kind of hear it in my minds ear, so to speak.

It's a fun session to mix - highly recommended.  The arrangement, playing and dynamics are all really good.  I don't think I used any automation on this one, just eq and a bit of compression and reverb here and there.  I'd suggesst using the Telefunken youtube mix as a reference for this one though, as the library mix seems to be quite 'pumping' and also quite glitchy to me?  I used the condenser mic for the vocals in my mix as I kind of like that sort of 'spittiness' quality you get.  Theres a dynamic mic lead vocal recording in there too which sounds really nice also - quite warm sounding I recall.

Cheers!
Aftering mixing this song myself, I still prefer your version its lovely. I did notice the library mix was glitchy. I did the same thing with basically lots of EQ and compression, and just a few reverbs. I did use a noise reducer to get rid of some the bleed in the vocals tracks, there is alot. I ended up using both the vocal tracks and just EQd up the flavors I liked the most to a single track to work with. I used all the tracks. I didn't use a reference for my mix so it doesn't quiet have a usual feel to it. I'm pretty aggressive with compressors I like using my SSL comp for basically everything so for the most part the tracks have a specific sharp energy to them.
The bleed in the vocal mic, etc. is the best thing about the telefunken mixes - it is a bit like an extra room mic that you can use to help balance the mix around if you go with it Smile. There's a slight bit of flamming with the snare in the vocal mics though. Because of all the bleed everywhere I didn't bother to see if this could be reduced by fiddling around time adjusting the tracks a bit. I do feel there is maybe a danger of doubling up on the room tone a bit if you use both vocal mics though maybe?