Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bannockburn Mix
Done using Logic Pro 9.

Got rid of half the guitars, 8 rhythm and 4 lead is way too many. Only used Bass amp track and only 1 kick drum track (the one with less low end).

Waves Audio Track on most channels.
Waves api 550B eq and SSL eq plug-ins.
Waves CLA compressors and L1 limiter for dynamics.
iZotope Ozone 4 on drum group
PSP Vintage Warmer on guitar group
No drum triggers bar using the snare sample that's already in there.

Please leave feedback Smile

.mp3    Bannockburn_Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.31 MB)

.mp3    Bannockburn_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.31 MB)

There's too much reverb on the vocal for my taste. Other than that, this sounds incredible.
(30-10-2012, 09:45 PM)spinner003 Wrote: There's too much reverb on the vocal for my taste. Other than that, this sounds incredible.

Yeah it is a slightly ott actually. Much appreciated Smile cheers!
I'm liking it. There is something special about your blending of the bass gtr with the vocals, it makes for a pretty good death metal sound (listen around 0.43 - 0.48).

/|\ above relates to the 'mix' version. On your mastered version all I'm hearing is hammer kick with lots of top end, the drums seem to be smashed at the expense of the vocals. Maybe I'll mess around with the mix version and see what I can do with it.
(06-11-2012, 04:28 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: I'm liking it. There is something special about your blending of the bass gtr with the vocals, it makes for a pretty good death metal sound (listen around 0.43 - 0.48).

/|\ above relates to the 'mix' version. On your mastered version all I'm hearing is hammer kick with lots of top end, the drums seem to be smashed at the expense of the vocals. Maybe I'll mess around with the mix version and see what I can do with it.

I did play around with your 'mix' version and I'll take back 'at the expense of the vocals'. Vocals sound very good in your master version.

I was just interested in the bass and vocal blend, and what I discovered was that stereo widening in the low midrange would kill that, and that in a narrow version the effect could be kept. Also too much upper midrange and high would mask that.

It's no biggie, I'm just interested in it from a psychoacoustic point of view. What I think I learned is that you can't have a text-book high pressure master and still have that bass and vocal blend as a feature.

Here is what I did, just a snip - the narrower less toppy master where you can hear this blend of bass and vocals.

.mp3    Bannockburn_Neil_Hudd--alt_master.mp3 --  (Download: 706.12 KB)

Although this style isn't one I'm that well-versed in, my limited knowledge suggests to me that you could get more out of the low end here. I'd recommend using the bass rather than the kick to supply the extra weight, though, given the super-high tempo. The vocals are coming through nicely, and seem well-balanced for this style, so that's good. I quite like the delay you've used too -- some epicness without too much unwanted blend.
(08-11-2012, 12:51 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 04:28 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: I'm liking it. There is something special about your blending of the bass gtr with the vocals, it makes for a pretty good death metal sound (listen around 0.43 - 0.48).

I did play around with your 'mix' version and I'll take back 'at the expense of the vocals'. Vocals sound very good in your master version.

I was just interested in the bass and vocal blend, and what I discovered was that stereo widening in the low midrange would kill that, and that in a narrow version the effect could be kept. Also too much upper midrange and high would mask that.

It's no biggie, I'm just interested in it from a psychoacoustic point of view. What I think I learned is that you can't have a text-book high pressure master and still have that bass and vocal blend as a feature.

Here is what I did, just a snip - the narrower less toppy master where you can hear this blend of bass and vocals.

Very interesting Smile feedback is much appreciated! I personally don't have time to keep messing around with this now lol so feel free to 'remaster' as many times as you like!
Also listening back after god knows how long it's been, I totally agree my 'mastered' version isn't great, guitars are washed out by the vox. Also agree the mix is generally lacking weight and would be best achieved using the bass Smile
Nice mix! I found the part around 1:39, where it goes to mostly right channel, a little disconcerting. I started shaking the cord on my headphones to see if they had a problem.