Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Hardest Part - 2 Different Mixes
Went a bit out of the box with both of these. Tripled each guitar and vocal track and panned them differently in groups of 2, added reverb and different on each to add a fake spacial ambiance to give it some width. When I did this, it helped the guitars on the vocal tracks sit a bit better with the actual guitar tracks. All ran through tape emulation and a bit of saturation to give it some vintage bite. Thought I would have a bit of fun and get as close to completely ruining the mix as I could and then dialing it back a tad.

Second mix is a bit more conservative... I used 4 tracks each, brought the panning closer to center for each and a bit less reverb, and brought down the tape emulation/saturation. Brought down low end a tad @ 200hz, but maybe a bit too much.

I think the 2nd mix works a bit better, but they're pretty close

.mp3    The Hardest Part V2 Cleaner.mp3 --  (Download: 11.19 MB)

.mp3    The Hardest Part.mp3 --  (Download: 11.19 MB)

Hi!

Gave your mixes a listen the other day on earbuds and had some time today check again on monitors. I found the write-up of your mix interesting, as I too felt the need to process these tracks quite a lot more than I thought. I also felt the need to add a small amount of saturation.

Like you (I'm guessing) I felt the main thing was to try and somehow get more of a sense of space and detail from the tracks. Certainly the actual tracks were not quite what I was expecting given the room, mic setup and the library mix! Saying that I know nothing of recording. Performance was certainly excellent though, as was the library mix I thought.

Listening to the 'V2 Cleaner mix' I do like the sense of space, dynamics and clarity you got there. I do feel overall though that it is perhaps a little bright in that 3k ish area and maybe lacking a touch the low end a little - as you say the 200Hz ish region.

It's interesting - having listened to your mix I feel I could probably duck a db at 200 from my mix, and maybe add a db at 3k or so.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
My opinion is that the mix is too thin. Maybe this is eq or phase issues?
Sasha MD