Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'Drag Me Down'
This was a fun song to mix, hopefully it delivers as intended Smile

Update V2 - Its probably even more bass heavy and louder now, but maybe its an improvement Smile

Update v3 - Alot better since I turned it wayyy down on the master limiter. Not sure where I started obsessing with loudness lol

.mp3    Drag me down.mp3 --  (Download: 7.63 MB)

.mp3    Drag me downv2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.75 MB)

.mp3    Drag me downv3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.75 MB)

Hi!

Sounds really big and punchy! Kind of expensive sounding over all too I feel. It’s not easy to get a good and loud mix. It’s around 6.7 LUFS (14 LUFS fans look away now Big Grin). Liking the detail you got from the drums. I also really like the vocals - I think that panning works really well. Maybe just a touch heavy in the low end though < 200Hz perhaps? Not sure if it needs a little bit more high passing on some instruments - like maybe the intro guitar figure? Could maybe also boost 300 a bit Smile and cut 3-4k a touch, to balance that out a bit.

I could be a bit off though. I’ll list the tracks I was kind of referencing against below. I’ve also probably listened to my attempt a bit too much too by now. It’s more than possible that I'll feel differently about it next week after a bit of a rest!

Refs:

Bad Religion - Age Of Unreason
Badflower - ANA
Living Colour - Freedom Of Expression
Halestrom - Vicious

No particular reason for choosing those tracks - I just had them handy.

Anyway, not sure if the critique is of any use or not. I certainly enjoyed the listen. It's a good mix.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(24-10-2021, 08:34 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Sounds really big and punchy!  Kind of expensive sounding over all too I feel.  It’s not easy to get a good and loud mix.  It’s around 6.7 LUFS (14 LUFS fans look away now Big Grin).  Liking the detail you got from the drums.  I also really like the vocals - I think that panning works really well.  Maybe just a touch heavy in the low end though < 200Hz perhaps?  Not sure if it needs a little bit more high passing on some instruments - like maybe the intro guitar figure?  Could maybe also boost 300 a bit Smile and cut 3-4k a touch, to balance that out a bit.

I could be a bit off though.  I’ll list the tracks I was kind of referencing against below.  I’ve also probably listened to my attempt a bit too much too by now.  It’s more than possible that I'll feel differently about it next week after a bit of a rest!

Refs:

Bad Religion - Age Of Unreason
Badflower - ANA
Living Colour - Freedom Of Expression
Halestrom - Vicious

No particular reason for choosing those tracks - I just had them handy.

Anyway, not sure if the critique is of any use or not.  I certainly enjoyed the listen.  It's a good mix.

Cheers!
Thanks for the kind comment! Rather than being expensive, I'm just using headphones, a focusrite 2i2, and 80% of everything is proQ3 haha

I have a habit of starting with a limiter on my master track and trying to push every track to stay consistently at the 0db line, for the most part. Drum transients like the Kick and Snare sometimes go above this line a few DB, but I use Reaper and its engine allows for up to 16dbs over the 0 line (which is just insane, I never go that far). I don't use any references for my mixes, But I did check those songs out and they are mixed great. I tried to bring up some attention to the Vocals, Guitars, and Snare in the 300hz range, and I ended up adding some more EQ to the kick a peak at 40hz, a peak around 2k, and a peak around 16k. I added a an EQ bump around 1k to the main vocals. Most of these EQs curves I add are very small Q, as small as I can get without it sounding unatural, so I know there so more room for other Tracks to blend in the areas if needed. Most the time once I get done with that, I'll add a compressor and start clamping down to see how the track moves with the EQ decisions. I usually end up going back and cutting out ALOT of low end and cutting out frequencies that don't help the track. Once this is done, the track really starts sounding 90% done. That last 10% is adding saturation, flangers, delays, chorus, reverb to the vocals and snare, and then checking the master track to see if any final touches are needed. I usually never add anything to the master track other than a limiter, cause 9/10 times I'll end up
just degrading the mix. I try not to play the mix longer than 30 seconds to a minute at most times, so my ears stay fresh. I've noticed the longer I play the mix while making EQ or Compressor decisions, the sooner my perception of the mix as a whole drifts off. So I try to Work quickly and confidently. Smile
Added v3 same mix much better less squished