Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never let you go ...the version I liked best
(13-10-2021, 07:21 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Well, the way I see it is like a right of passage. I mean, what will become of us if we don't have mud everywhere in our mixes? Need I mention there are mixes that I rather tiptoe softly to the backyard, across a barn with rusty hooks and hoes to bury them, in the dark moonless night, when no one is around, instead of 6, 12 feet under. What about no bottom end at all? What about muted tracks? Man, I don't wear them proudly, can you blame me?, but I am not shamed having them either. And yeah, you name it, man. I have much experience wallowing in that awesome pool of sonic miseries Smile. Almost drown quite a few times (throw in the towel), but, luckily, I have big lungs. I can hold my breath down there...forever. It takes a bit of work to make me cry, you know.

Yeah, take a rest. No need to torture yourself mixing with ear fatigue. It'll come to you as it comes to me. Eventually you'll hear what's wrong in your mix by yourself. The learning curve in this business is quite gentle. It takes a long time just to get a bit better. Here patience and perseverance are great virtues to possess. I encourage you to read more about sounds, the science part of it, and keep playing with your toys (compressor, EQ, etc) to get to know them better. I have only a few plugins, mostly stock, but I know them well enough to know what they can do and how they can help me pin the mix down. I am in no way know everything about my plugins but knowing enough is enough to get me thru and, yeah, read the user manuals Smile. The main thing is to be able to hear it. That's the key, my friend. We are in the business of listening. Let's not forget that, right?

Let me know your next mix when it's done. I'll give you my 2 cents then. Thanks.
here you go my friend

.mp3    Never let you go +4.4dbs not so dark_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.97 MB)

.mp3    Never let you go +4.4dbs not so dark_Master2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.97 MB)

Never let you go +4.4dbs not so dark_Master2.mp3

I like this one. I can't find anything that I think jumps out and scares my fragile little soul. That's always a plus. I hear a lot more things that I couldn't hear from the previous versions (whatever I heard). The rest is just personal preferences. However, I hear a lot of distortion/saturation in your mix. I hear it from everywhere, kinda similar to each other, so I am thinking of the master bus. I mean I like your mix, but somehow, I guess the more violent side of me speaking, I think it could be punchier. Well, correct me if I am wrong, distortion/sat has been known to shave off some, if not all, attack from instruments. Perhaps, that's why I feel it's not punchy enough? The same effect can also be achieved with too fast of an attack in a compressor. I go for the distortion first bc I hear it better. I still cannot hear the subtle change in a compressor, so why even try. But it's worth a shot, right? So yeah, include the compressor. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Anyway I think this mix shows good improvement, at least to my ears. Whenever I get a mix to somewhat of a serviceable state like this, I'd think about polishing every single instrument and try show them in their best light, according to my tastes. It's one of the ways to find your "style." Having a distinctive style, to me, is an advantage, right? Cheers!
(16-10-2021, 03:05 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Never let you go +4.4dbs not so dark_Master2.mp3

I like this one. I can't find anything that I think jumps out and scares my fragile little soul. That's always a plus. I hear a lot more things that I couldn't hear from the previous versions (whatever I heard). The rest is just personal preferences. However, I hear a lot of distortion/saturation in your mix. I hear it from everywhere, kinda similar to each other, so I am thinking of the master bus. I mean I like your mix, but somehow, I guess the more violent side of me speaking, I think it could be punchier. Well, correct me if I am wrong, distortion/sat has been known to shave off some, if not all, attack from instruments. Perhaps, that's why I feel it's not punchy enough? The same effect can also be achieved with too fast of an attack in a compressor. I go for the distortion first bc I hear it better. I still cannot hear the subtle change in a compressor, so why even try. But it's worth a shot, right? So yeah, include the compressor. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Anyway I think this mix shows good improvement, at least to my ears. Whenever I get a mix to somewhat of a serviceable state like this, I'd think about polishing every single instrument and try show them in their best light, according to my tastes. It's one of the ways to find your "style." Having a distinctive style, to me, is an advantage, right? Cheers!
I listen to the mix without back vocals and that distortion is gone, so I guess I will have to add saturation to the whole mix to hide that noise or use white noise to mask the noise. so how did you clean up those back vocals?
Tbh, I didn't pay that much attention to the bv. I just hi pass to ~90Hz (bc she is female) and low pass it until I hear only a bit of top end from it. It's in the back for a reason, right?

What I understand about distortion is it adds higher harmonics to the sound, upper hi mid and all the way up and knocks out the attack. You can always LP it without doing anything special and it'll be ok if it was printed to tape that way. I was thinking bc of it your mix lacks some of the punchiness. I was worrying that you might have used too much of it and shaved a bit too much from the punch in the heat of the moment. Yeah, man, I am a rock man. I also like combat sports. So yeah, in the face is preferred.

I compress everything, even distorted guitar (which is a square wave aka super compressed). But the amount of compression is negligible, imo. I barely hit 1dB of static compression of GR nowadays, even on a kick/snare, barely 1.5dBs GR. I find myself reaching much deeper on the threshold but only 1:18 on ratio lately tho. For some reasons, I like the sound it makes...for now. More or less trying to control the instrument, to get it sit in the mix steadily, if you will. I rely much more on EQ before I reach for a compressor. Playing with fire is not to be taken lightly. It's best taken one at a time. I respect the EQ/compressor, feared them at one time.

No, I never got paid for mixing, and the reason is quite obvious, understandably. But yeah, I'd like to get paid some time in the future. After all, man is gotta eat, right? And I'll probably charge EDM a lot more for a very simple reason: it's like working on 5 songs that roll together as one. 5 snares? 2 kicks? 3 basses? 20 millions fxs? Heh! My friend would say, "don't piss on me and tell me it's raining." Clearly, it's not "a" song.

I mix bc I love mixing. I think it's very interesting. It is probably the single hardest thing I ever attempt in my life, and I like challenges. On a more personal note I love mixing bc it allows me to withdraw from the world. I turn on the DAW and 2 minutes later, with a little help from you know what, and off I go. And what would be more satisfying when you get the kick and the bass to work together, right?

IT man? Awesome. Writing program/codes? Playing any instrument? I play a little bit of guitar/piano, very little.
(16-10-2021, 06:19 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Tbh, I didn't pay that much attention to the bv. I just hi pass to ~90Hz (bc she is female) and low pass it until I hear only a bit of top end from it. It's in the back for a reason, right?

What I understand about distortion is it adds higher harmonics to the sound, upper hi mid and all the way up and knocks out the attack. You can always LP it without doing anything special and it'll be ok if it was printed to tape that way. I was thinking bc of it your mix lacks some of the punchiness. I was worrying that you might have used too much of it and shaved a bit too much from the punch in the heat of the moment. Yeah, man, I am a rock man. I also like combat sports. So yeah, in the face is preferred.

I compress everything, even distorted guitar (which is a square wave aka super compressed). But the amount of compression is negligible, imo. I barely hit 1dB of static compression of GR nowadays, even on a kick/snare, barely 1.5dBs GR. I find myself reaching much deeper on the threshold but only 1:18 on ratio lately tho. For some reasons, I like the sound it makes...for now. More or less trying to control the instrument, to get it sit in the mix steadily, if you will. I rely much more on EQ before I reach for a compressor. Playing with fire is not to be taken lightly. It's best taken one at a time. I respect the EQ/compressor, feared them at one time.

No, I never got paid for mixing, and the reason is quite obvious, understandably. But yeah, I'd like to get paid some time in the future. After all, man is gotta eat, right? And I'll probably charge EDM a lot more for a very simple reason: it's like working on 5 songs that roll together as one. 5 snares? 2 kicks? 3 basses? 20 millions fxs? Heh! My friend would say, "don't piss on me and tell me it's raining." Clearly, it's not "a" song.

I mix bc I love mixing. I think it's very interesting. It is probably the single hardest thing I ever attempt in my life, and I like challenges. On a more personal note I love mixing bc it allows me to withdraw from the world. I turn on the DAW and 2 minutes later, with a little help from you know what, and off I go. And what would be more satisfying when you get the kick and the bass to work together, right?

IT man? Awesome. Writing program/codes? Playing any instrument? I play a little bit of guitar/piano, very little.

wow, that is where I went wrong with background vocals, I need to high pass them, and that why no one else mixes has that hiss. I just now low pass all background vocals and it fixed the problems. thanks again I may upload the really clean version later tonight or tomorrow. I just need to Mixdown but I making sure there are no other problems first.

you want to know if I can play any instruments, the answer is yes I play piano just like a little, just enough to make melodies. I do make beats but I can't sing so I need someone to sing over or rap over my beats.  I have a Soundcloud account with the majority of my music. you can tell that I improved over the years in the area also. I produce trap, hip hop, and drill beats. believe it or not, I like classical music which is very dynamic.

I mix music just to be doing something when I'm not at work or outside working on my vehicles. my love of music started in high school. I was the local DJ for all the parties in my small town, but back then you need a lot of money to even think about recording music. this was the late 80's early 90's. once I got in college I stopped doing music and started chasing females, lol. I had a kid and spent 20 years raising her. I started back with music in 2008 because by this time you could use computers to make music and cost less to get into under $100k., really it cost me less than $2000 at first then I start wasting money on this hobby with more expensive gear and buying like every plugin I could get my hands on, more money was wasted. I enjoy mixing because at my age it is something to do to waste time when there is nothing else to do in this covid lockdown, so I had a lot of time on my hands. If I'm not mixing music, I'm watching NetFlix or playing video games and streaming on twitch with my daughter and her friends. I play ghost recon wildlands, diablo 3, and lately been playing dead by daylight. 

so what is the next more popular song on here to mix? oh, mixing EDM is hard to mix. hip hop is so easy to mix. I'm mixing one right now for local groups and it's like where are all the other stems, lol.
[SonicTramp] I feel that relaying what your friend said is inappropriate language for this forum. I note that [LuciferMabus] has also quoted what what you wrote there.

Please can we edit it out and keep it respectful.

Thanks.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(16-10-2021, 10:27 PM)mikej Wrote: [SonicTramp] I feel that relaying what your friend said is inappropriate language for this forum.  I note that [LuciferMabus] has also quoted what what you wrote there. 

Thanks.
*Sure, man. But can we have a debate on this or are you gonna bully me into submission bc you're the moderator? I am curious as to why you feel it's inappropriate base on the age and maturity of this audience. Really? Or it's just you. If it's just you and you want me to edit on the risk of being banned, then, yeah, you bully me into it. Hooray for you, man. And you think that what I wrote would corrupt these people? C'mon, man. Let's get real here.
(16-10-2021, 11:26 PM)SonicTramp Wrote:
(16-10-2021, 10:27 PM)mikej Wrote: [SonicTramp] I feel that relaying what your friend said is inappropriate language for this forum.  I note that [LuciferMabus] has also quoted what what you wrote there. 

Thanks.
*Sure, man. But can we have a debate on this or are you gonna bully me into submission bc you're the moderator? I am curious as to why you feel it's inappropriate base on the age and maturity of this audience. Really? Or it's just you. If it's just you and you want me to edit on the risk of being banned, then, yeah, you bully me into it. Hooray for you, man. And you think that what I wrote would corrupt these people? C'mon, man. Let's get real here.
Hey as another mod...Don't be a jerk. No one's asking anything difficult or out of line. This is supposed to be a PG place that others, meaning schools and colleges an stuff can feel free to send their students and it be a safe environment. In the end, we don't need blue talk to describe mixing. So why not just be cool? It's honestly not up for debate but if you'd like we can ask Mike Senior. This isn't bullying. This is one of the basic tenets of the forum.
(16-10-2021, 11:32 PM)Omnishambles Wrote:
(16-10-2021, 11:26 PM)SonicTramp Wrote:

Thanks.
Hey as another mod...Don't be a jerk. No one's asking anything difficult or out of line. This is supposed to be a PG place that others, meaning schools and colleges an stuff can feel free to send their students and it be a safe environment. In the end, we don't need blue talk to describe mixing. So why not just be cool? It's honestly not up for debate but if you'd like we can ask Mike Senior. This isn't bullying. This is one of the basic tenets of the forum.
This is a good time for all of us to re-read the Three Commandments of posting on the forum!
https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...php?tid=12
I guess they are right when they say, "when a debate is lost (and we haven't even begun yet) slander is the preferred choice of tool of the loser."

Why am I a jerk asking questions?

Which word did I use that is "inappropriate" for this audience? Piss? How about the meaning of the sentence? That's language arts. Your censorship is killing the language. It's an expression. It's idiom. It's just a conversation of 2 grown men, me and the dude.

Did I use it as an insult? Did I use it to "corrupt" the youth? Did the dude complaints to you that I talked to him and poison his mind? No. None of that. Ask anyone here and let them tell me that what I said was inappropriate and I'll ban myself out of shame. But if you ban me bc of this then you guys are just a bunch of bullies. Yeah, go home and tell your love ones that you just bulled a guy into submission.