Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balkun Bros - So Hi, So Lo - Updated
There were a lot of issues to deal with in these tracks including typically low level recording and puny drum sounds trying mightily to be huge. Yet there was sick bleed into both vocal mics that needed to be dealt with so that the cymbals would not get completely washed out. Then there were the guitar parts presented basically as a single stereo track. I imagine many of us split that track into verse and chorus tracks and dealt with their tone and level automation discreetly. That's what I did. This song begs for some thrash throughout and that needed to be engineered in. That was fun, yes?

I tried hard to use the drum vocal track but later decided to trash all but a scream coming out of the bridge and used only the 'shelf' vocals. That cleaned things up and matched the character of the vocal well with the song thrash.

I tried to keep things as dynamic as possible while keeping as much energy into this mix. Not sure if I succeeded.

What do you think?

Balkun Brothers - So Hi So Lo

Balkun Brothers - So Hi So Lo - Master 2

I decided that this genre responded better to a bit less dynamic range. As such, I compressed it more to bring out more detail and existing dynamic moves. I also tried to softened the harshness mentioned below.
Does anyone else think the bass is too loud in the mix? It is not your typical bass guitar part.

Comments and questions, appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy Mixing,
mITc

.mp3    Balkun Brothers - So Hi So Lo.mp3 --  (Download: 15.25 MB)

.mp3    Balkun Brothers - So Hi So Lo - Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 15.27 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Nice placement and fx i like the space you have.Sounds kind of harsh to me though in general, around 2-5 kh and the bass is to loud, bat becouse of the harshnes it helps to smooth the mix a bit.
(06-10-2021, 09:02 PM)gopener Wrote: Nice placement and fx i like the space you have.Sounds kind of harsh to me though in general, around 2-5 kh and the bass is to loud, bat becouse of the harshnes it helps to smooth the mix a bit.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. I heeded your advice on the upper mids and addressed that in the latest mix but left the bass where it was. I feel the bass plays a big part in the character of the song.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]