Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leslie Mendelson - The Hardest Part (NotJack Mix)
Heres my take on this one. Hope you enjoy.

Update:
Ive tweaked the mix to Novalix suggestions, I've tried to tame some of the brittleness with some De-essing/notch eqing. I also cut out some of the boxiness coming from the bg vocals I didn't catch before, which seems to have cleared up the mix as whole. Also also, I automated the vox reverb a bit and brought it up during the choruses.

And just for fun, I've uploaded a "Vinylized" version of the song, I felt the vibe of this song lent itself very well to it. Smile

.mp3    Leslie Mendelson - The Hardest Part.mp3 --  (Download: 11.15 MB)

.mp3    Leslie Mendelson - The Hardest Part revision.mp3 --  (Download: 11.15 MB)

.mp3    Leslie Mendelson - The Hardest Part vinyl.mp3 --  (Download: 11.15 MB)

Jack Hutcheson - The Dark Triad EP
Spotify - AppleMusic  - YouTubeMusic

My Mixes
I like your mix. Very defined, very subtle (opposite of my take Blush ).
Every once in a while it is still a little brittle. The problem seems to be Telefunken wanting to showcase their mics, which are great but not always the best fit for a specific performance.
Eventually one runs out of de-esser plugins.
It doesn't have to sound good to move people - David Byrne
Thanks Novalix... I think I rushed this mix a bit so I think I missed some of the finer details. I've noticed that too with some telefunken mics as well, they tend towards the airy/brittle side. I've uploaded a tweaked mix based on your suggestions. Thanks!

My Mixes
Nice mix, man! Soft and really good to listen to!
You can contact me for professional jobs, editing, mixing & mastering, mixing classes!
Would be a pleasure to work with you!
[email protected]
Hello Notjack.Your 600hz -1000 area very problematic and uncontrolled.Vocal sounds like telephonic  and lots of proximity .Guitars seems hard cutted.(they have no low end or enough low end )  Finally your mix  is a bit dry and narrow.I mastered your mix quickly. Listen and tell me What do u think please ? Cheers ![b][url=https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/member.php?action=profile&uid=9460][/url][/b]
well, i took another different approach in my mix with plenty more character and clarity. its a matter of taste but i think your version is lacking some room and clarity but overall its not bad
You can listen to it in the main thread.
(08-11-2021, 05:15 PM)Mammy Wrote: Hello Notjack.Your 600hz -1000 area very problematic and uncontrolled.Vocal sounds like telephonic  and lots of proximity .Guitars seems hard cutted.(they have no low end or enough low end )  Finally your mix  is a bit dry and narrow.I mastered your mix quickly. Listen and tell me What do u think please ? Cheers !

There is no presence in your master. Sound is too deep but this is a Mix problem in my opinion.

This is my version mixed and Mastered

.mp3    hardest part by Kito.mp3 --  (Download: 11.27 MB)

(08-11-2021, 01:14 PM)andreybenassi Wrote: Nice mix, man! Soft and really good to listen to!

Thanks! This was a very pleasing song to mix and I feel I didn't have to do much to it except clean it up a bit.

(08-11-2021, 05:15 PM)Mammy Wrote: Hello Notjack.Your 600hz -1000 area very problematic and uncontrolled.Vocal sounds like telephonic  and lots of proximity .Guitars seems hard cutted.(they have no low end or enough low end )  Finally your mix  is a bit dry and narrow.I mastered your mix quickly. Listen and tell me What do u think please ? Cheers ![b][url=https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/member.php?action=profile&uid=9460][/url][/b]

Sounds good, although the "vinyl" was for a bit of fun, I literally just slapped a Vinyl plugin on the master fader haha.

(14-11-2021, 08:45 PM)Kito Wrote: well, i took another different approach in my mix with plenty more character and clarity. its a matter of taste but i think your version is lacking some room and clarity but overall its not bad
You can listen to it in the main thread.

Thanks for the input. My approach to this mix was "less is more". I wanted to keep the natural warm vibe. I took a listen to your mix, and while it is definitely has the clarity, I feel that the high frequencies are a bit over-hyped, particularly on the guitars, and is over-compressed for the style of the song. But like you said, its a matter of taste. I will agree though that it definitely has character though!

My Mixes