Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian C Cai Fei Hong: 'Never Let You Go'
Hi:)

Here is my take on this one, I would really appreciate your thoughts on it.
Normally, I am a more metal/rock guy, so this was a bit outside my comfort zone.

Edit:
- Version 2: Feedback from SonicTramp: attempted a master
- Version 3: Update acoustic guitar to fit the feel better
- Version 4: Feedback from Y's Man
- Version 5: Feedback from thedon: vocal adjustments, cleaning up the low end, brining up more ambience
- Version 6: Feedback from vrlnsnd: push second verse, filtered main synth

(Feel free to PM me for a 32bit float WAV if you would like to attempt a master on my version)

.mp3    Brian C Cai Fei Hong - Never Let You Go 6 MASTER.mp3 --  (Download: 6.94 MB)

from 1:01 and from 2:21 volume balance is slightly too loud relatively to other parts (kick, synth, etc). The whole mix is a little dull to my taste, but I wouldn't mind it as much. Cheers!
(28-09-2021, 06:51 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: from 1:01 and from 2:21 volume balance is slightly too loud relatively to other parts (kick, synth, etc). The whole mix is a little dull to my taste, but I wouldn't mind it as much. Cheers!

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Hi thanks for the feedback on mine

listening to yours, generally it is very quiet, the vocal has a nice air to it but lacks presence as a focal point slightly, i like the idea of making the drop more impactful but the way you have done it just sounds like a volume change, it needs to be more subtle. also the balance of the synths goes a bit wayward at that point and the lower end is all a bit muddy and confused.
Generally good though mix wise, i would suggest bringing the lufs up above -14 and raise the peak so you can get a clearer picture of the lows, using a transparent limiter then adjust and remove it and see if it sounds better after, but you can afford to push it all alot more at the levels you have it
Hi :)

Just to be sure, did you listen to the version 3? I had the old version there for comparison too. I already tried to fix that volume change, but maybe I failed.

Why would I target specific LUFS in the mix? I turned the gain down to make sure the song does not clip. Normally, I would export using 32bit float and leave the gain as is. Bringing the volume up would need a limiter, making the job of a mastering engineer a lot harder.
Maybe have a listen to my "MASTER" version, in that one I applied a limiter and brought the volume up.
(29-09-2021, 09:40 AM)Lucas Alber Wrote: Hi Smile

Just to be sure, did you listen to the version 3? I had the old version there for comparison too. I already tried to fix that volume change, but maybe I failed.

Why would I target specific LUFS in the mix? I turned the gain down to make sure the song does not clip. Normally, I would export using 32bit float and leave the gain as is. Bringing the volume up would need a limiter, making the job of a mastering engineer a lot harder.
Maybe have a listen to my "MASTER" version, in that one I applied a limiter and brought the volume up.
Because at different volumes things sound different you are miles away from what a mastering engineer needs in terms of headroom and clipping, plus they need a balanced mix gain is easily dealt with as long as theres no clipping.

Just listened to the master version and yes the drop volume change is alot smoother there and now the low end is sounding great if im honest but everything in the background is lost a bit , it could be as simple as bringing the faders up for the background if they sit well
(29-09-2021, 09:55 AM)Y's Man Wrote: Because at different volumes things sound different you are miles away from what a mastering engineer needs in terms of headroom and clipping, plus they need a balanced mix gain is easily dealt with as long as theres no clipping.

Just listened to the master version and yes the drop volume change is alot smoother there and now the low end is sounding great if im honest but everything in the background is lost a bit , it could be as simple as bringing the faders up for the background if they sit well

I am not quite sure what you mean with "the background", but I think I am going to rework the song with fresh ears tomorrow.
(29-09-2021, 10:06 AM)Lucas Alber Wrote:
(29-09-2021, 09:55 AM)Ys Man Wrote: Because at different volumes things sound different you are miles away from what a mastering engineer needs in terms of headroom and clipping, plus they need a balanced mix gain is easily dealt with as long as theres no clipping.

I am not quite sure what you mean with "the background", but I think I am going to rework the song with fresh ears tomorrow.
Everything that isnt part of the bass basically, except the guitars later on they are fine, but all the atmospheric synths et all, they sound muddy but could just be buried by the volume of the bass as there is room for them to come up it shouldnt be a problem. But cutting below 20hz might help aswell theres a fair bit going on there
(29-09-2021, 10:22 AM)Y's Man Wrote: Everything that isnt part of the bass basically, except the guitars later on they are fine, but all the atmospheric synths et all, they sound muddy but could just be buried by the volume of the bass as there is room for them to come up it shouldnt be a problem. But cutting below 20hz might help aswell theres a fair bit going on there

I understand, thank you! :)

(BTW. I checked the mix, and it is as load as it can go without clipping. I would blame that on the sample-perfect start of all instruments in choruses and buildup)
Hi Lucas ,
Thank you for your  feedback on my mix.
listening to 3 master and some things come to mind on my monitors.
The vocals could be a little more dynamic with less compression which is causing breaths and sibilance to be more pronounced ( I cheated and removed the Vocal breaths ) .
Maybe back off on compression as the vocals in the supplied multi tracks appear to already be compressed already exaggerating the breaths between words and sibilance.
As already mentioned the a little more work on balancing the transition of the volume level in the chorus and balance with the synths.
The Hi Hat high frequencies just need are popping out of the mix maybe just need  a little taming around athe similar frequencies of the Vocal Sibilance.
Cheers  Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts