Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alive Yet Free
I just wanna be FREEEEEE!!! Dope!

.mp3    Alive Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.56 MB)

WOW! I can't believe I missed this post. First off, I freaking LOVE the sound design parts of this. That's something we are definitely implementing into our new stuff. You nailed the vibe so dramatically. It's great! The space for the vocals works really well, the tones are killer, and this has a super Visual-kei sound (if you know what that means).
I really like this a lot. Sorry it took me so long to take notice!

It's really hard for me to say anything in particular is wrong because, well, it's just so solid. The fx on the bridge threw me for a loop, but I love how it effectively creates so much contrast!

These guitar tones are really strong, and the whole thing feels like I would've accepted it for the release.
There are just 3 points that I think would make this pretty much perfect!

1) A dynamic eq on the master bringing down the 4k overall could fix this, but there's a lot of 4k buildup overall. You could probably take some of this from the overheads or guitars or drums or whatever, but it's not constant so it's not as big a deal. Therefore, a little scooping of it on the 2bus with a dynamic eq would bring that right out.
2) Give me some air, man! I love that stuff. A shelf at 20khz / 40khz if you have something like that just to increase that upper air band will make you feel like you need less of that 4k anyway! This mix absolutely shines with a shelf on it.
3) The lower midrange feels ever so slightly scooped to me. Maybe a little bit more 400-500hz somewhere in the guitars or drums or vocals or something? But that's just a taste / preference thing.

Overall this is a GREAT mix and you should be proud. Thank you for it!
Hey , this mix never went through the "mastering" phase , so its missing some top end and some other final touch ups to give it that finished sound.

Thanks for the great words , im looking forward to hearing more of your awesome work.

cheers!
Hi,

Glad I checked this one out!

Yeah I agree that this is indeed a GREAT mix! Really well done!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!