Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie question
hi all, I just signed up for this board and I'm trying to get an idea on a few things around here and would appreciate direction from the seasoned ones. so first off
in general on these songs being posted here, I see everyone is doing their own mixes and posting for review, I get that, but the original WAVs that are with the stems, who mixed that? Is that done by the artist,  or did Mike do that?
and secondly, whoever did the WAV mix, is there a place where the process of that particular song mix is discussed?
thanks to any that provide insight and help
andy
Hi!

Yes, some mixes are provided by the artist, some are mixed by Mike.

A number of Mike's mixes are broken down in his Sound on Sound Magazine Mix Rescue series (links are in the library download section).

There is a mix tips podcast for Mike's Patreon members featuring the library sessions. I think there is a link to a free one that is available too.  Mike also generously provides his Reaper session for some of his mixes too, which are pretty interesting to analyse and also glean some tips from.

I think everything I've mentioned is linked from this page: https://cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/

My advice would be to just get stuck in - download a session, give it the best mix you can - and then upload it for comments and go from there.

My first post is here: https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=27082

Hope that answers some of your questions?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(19-09-2021, 01:50 AM)andy1324 Wrote: hi all, I just signed up for this board and I'm trying to get an idea on a few things around here and would appreciate direction from the seasoned ones. so first off
in general on these songs being posted here, I see everyone is doing their own mixes and posting for review, I get that, but the original WAVs that are with the stems, who mixed that? Is that done by the artist,  or did Mike do that?
and secondly, whoever did the WAV mix, is there a place where the process of that particular song mix is discussed?
thanks to any that provide insight and help
andy
Some quick answers/guesses. 
1) I believe that the preview mixes are, generally, the artist/band mix. Though sometimes, yes, it is Mike. Especially in older mixes.
B) For the vast majority of mixes there is no background provided about how that song was mixed or recorded. Sometimes people on the board provide mixes and they may have posted some info on the history of the recording. Sometimes, a mix was a part of an article in Sound  on Sound Magazine and there may be some further info located there, online. Sometimes the multitrack is through an outside source like Telefunken and there may be some info online or just in the provided "Read Me" down to the individual track names. I'd say mostly though, there isn't much to go on. If you look at the download portion of the website you'll probably see some notation about where the file came from and what not.

My gut reaction is to say, "don't worry about it". Reference the preview mixes to get a feel for what the artist may or may not want but don't worry about the preview mix too much. Some are just a reference and some are a goal to aspire to.

Hope that helps.
Damn you Mike for typing faster than me and with a better response.
Ok, thanks all for the input