Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian C Cai Fei Hong: 'Never Let You Go' Mix
Good sounding mix overall. Main criticism for me is the timbre of the kick. It's a little in your face. I like where it sits volume wise, but I wouldn't have such a strong mid-section on it.
Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
Hi Dan!

Mix sounds great!

I'm with axxessdenied that the kick is a bit over the top, but I would actually turn down the volume a bit. Are you side chaining the basses to the kick? I find those need to long to recover after a hit, this could also be because you are hitting the limiter on the master too hard.
Maybe put some work in the acoustic guitar, it's a bit dry in comparison to the rest of the instruments.
(29-09-2021, 06:12 PM)LucasĀ Alber Wrote: Hi Dan!

Mix sounds great!

I'm with axxessdenied that the kick is a bit over the top, but I would actually turn down the volume a bit. Are you side chaining the basses to the kick? I find those need to long to recover after a hit, this could also be because you are hitting the limiter on the master too hard.
Maybe put some work in the acoustic guitar, it's a bit dry in comparison to the rest of the instruments.
Hey! Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yes, I sidechained the basses because I wanted the kick to create that punch for the hook and keep a clean low end. The gain reduction on bass tracks is really not subtle (had other, harder dubstep tracks in mind there), that could be a bit too much and I will shorten the release time! Don't think it's the master bus processing, but will check.

I'm interested in the timbre comment by axxessdenied: Would you recommend tuning it lower, or actually EQing it? I can imagine that tuning it lower can work because it also will get a bit more low end then. With EQing I would be a bit afraid to take away the snap (small speakers in mind), but will try. Will definitely look into that again!