Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian C Cai Fei Hong: 'Never Let You Go'
First, thanks for leaving a comment in mine. And as a return of a favor, here I am listening to yours and tell you honestly what I think. I listen to your latest post. A def id for mixes makes it easier to identify the mix and avoid misunderstanding is my suggestion.

The mix comes off as dark (mostly coming from the dominant kick) to my taste. The drop loses its power bc the comp pulls the vocal down every time the kick hits (mixbus compressor?). On verse 2 (1:41-2:00), there are some guitar parts (nice melodies) that are not well presented.

I listen with Yamaha HS8 in a somewhat treated room. Hope it helps. Cheers!
commenting on Brian C Cai Fei Hong - Never Let You Go.mp3

Kicks come through nice and punchy.
I like the creative choices you made on the build ups.
This one is subjective but I found the vox fx on the lead a touch loud.
The build up around 1:00 seems to bury the vox a bit.
Another subjective one is I would adjust the EQ on the master bus a touch.

Overall I think it's enjoyable to listen to!
Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
(27-09-2021, 08:45 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: First, thanks for leaving a comment in mine. And as a return of a favor, here I am listening to yours and tell you honestly what I think. I listen to your latest post. A def id for mixes makes it easier to identify the mix and avoid misunderstanding is my suggestion.

The mix comes off as dark (mostly coming from the dominant kick) to my taste. The drop loses its power bc the comp pulls the vocal down every time the kick hits (mixbus compressor?). On verse 2 (1:41-2:00), there are some guitar parts (nice melodies) that are not well presented.

I listen with Yamaha HS8 in a somewhat treated room. Hope it helps. Cheers!

(28-09-2021, 04:04 PM)axxessdenied Wrote: commenting on Brian C Cai Fei Hong - Never Let You Go.mp3

Kicks come through nice and punchy.
I like the creative choices you made on the build ups.
This one is subjective but I found the vox fx on the lead a touch loud.
The build up around 1:00 seems to bury the vox a bit.
Another subjective one is I would adjust the EQ on the master bus a touch.

Overall I think it's enjoyable to listen to!

Thanks for the feedback it helps alot
Updated again, i lowered the kick and i think it uncovers the vocals a bit more, the problem is i mixed this with 100% parrallel compression on the drums so changing things affects the balance considerably, i think the other perc is lower than i would like now and some vocal panning is too far

:edited a bit more

.mp3    Brian C Cai Fei Hong - Never Let You Go.mp3 --  (Download: 5.88 MB)

Some immediate thoughts:
1. The synth at the beginning is a bit loud, pulls the balance a lot to the left at its first hit
2. The delay on the vocal makes it feel like it was recorded in a bathroom
3. The instruments feel very spacious, the vocal dry in comparison
4. The hats stand out a lot
5. The vocal has some harsh frequencies in the buildup
6. The chorus drops in energy compared to the buildup. I observed that in a lot of mixes, is that on purpose? In my version, I tried to make the choruses hit as hard as possible.
7. There is some white noise right when the song starts
8. I like that you turned down the acoustic guitar

General balance feels about right (maybe a bit harsh?).
I would especially concentrate on points 2. and 6.
(29-09-2021, 08:45 AM)Lucas Alber Wrote: Some immediate thoughts:
1. The synth at the beginning is a bit loud, pulls the balance a lot to the left at its first hit
2. The delay on the vocal makes it feel like it was recorded in a bathroom
3. The instruments feel very spacious, the vocal dry in comparison
4. The hats stand out a lot
5. The vocal has some harsh frequencies in the buildup
6. The chorus drops in energy compared to the buildup. I observed that in a lot of mixes, is that on purpose? In my version, I tried to make the choruses hit as hard as possible.
7. There is some white noise right when the song starts
8. I like that you turned down the acoustic guitar

General balance feels about right (maybe a bit harsh?).
I would especially concentrate on points 2. and 6.
Thanks, was thinking the same with the hats, the chorus i think has a certain lack of energy from what is expected from the build up but i notice in the released version the kick has a bounce that gives it a bit of momentum. But generally it has a reflective feel in the song so rather than be impactful you are supposed to drift away after the drop imo into the ocean of sounds, as if travelling through space and wondering at the various things being seen, which leads to the second drop with the sparkle as if going through the gates of revelation... if that makes sense..
(29-09-2021, 09:38 AM)Y's Man Wrote: Thanks, was thinking the same with the hats, the chorus i think has a certain lack of energy from what is expected from the build up but i notice in the released version the kick has a bounce that gives it a bit of momentum. But generally it has a reflective feel in the song so rather than be impactful you are supposed to drift away after the drop imo into the ocean of sounds, as if travelling through space and wondering at the various things being seen, which leads to the second drop with the sparkle as if going through the gates of revelation... if that makes sense..

Do you talk about the released version or the "preview"? I agree with the intention, but I feel more like I am observing the ocean of sounds behind a window and not standing right in the center because some dynamics are lost right when the chorus starts. (If that makes any sense :D)
(29-09-2021, 10:00 AM)Lucas Alber Wrote:
(29-09-2021, 09:38 AM)Ys Man Wrote: Thanks, was thinking the same with the hats, the chorus i think has a certain lack of energy from what is expected from the build up but i notice in the released version the kick has a bounce that gives it a bit of momentum. But generally it has a reflective feel in the song so rather than be impactful you are supposed to drift away after the drop imo into the ocean of sounds, as if travelling through space and wondering at the various things being seen, which leads to the second drop with the sparkle as if going through the gates of revelation... if that makes sense..

Do you talk about the released version or the "preview"? I agree with the intention, but I feel more like I am observing the ocean of sounds behind a window and not standing right in the center because some dynamics are lost right when the chorus starts. (If that makes any sense Big Grin)
Yes i understand mate, yours in that respect sounds alot better now just need to bring out the background a bit, i am talking about the released version i bought it but is very similar to the library preview
I listened to your most recent mix and here's what I found:
  • The plucked guitar at the beginning is too loud and also competing with the vocal
  • Vocals could be compressed a lot more. I hear sudden dips and peaks in volume between different words. I also hear a bit too much 2-3k as well and it sounds a bit fatiguing
  • The background vocal lines during the verses are too loud and not ambient enough
  • During the buildup, the lead vocal is getting buried a little bit by some of the synths. I would turn down the louder synths or carve out some mid-highs
  • The breakdown sounds a bit muddy. There are some synths I can’t really hear that well, and some are a bit too loud, especially the one that comes in during the 2nd half
  • For the second buildup, the lead vocal is missing. I'm not sure if it's actually supposed to be there or not but in the original mix it is.
Hope that helps a bit. Good luck  Big Grin