Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian C Cai Fei Hong: 'Never Let You Go'
Had a go, any feedback much appreciated im kinda new to it all
(12-09-2021, 06:25 PM)Y Wrote: Tried to do a more transparent master
I just loved yours!! The drop is soo awesome and i can hear each and every instrument seperately. The reverb/echo effect is a little too much i guess, but i think that's just personal preference. I prefer a little intimate vocals especially in the beginning of a song.
(12-09-2021, 06:25 PM)Ys Man Wrote: Tried to do a more transparent master
I've jus listened to Practice Mix 3 Ozone Master.mp3, the track lacks of low end and depth in general and for my taste the basses and kick are low in level, and some element are unnecesary panned, but is a good sounded mix the fx on the vocals are very good in place and sound.

favour returned, Cheers!!
(13-09-2021, 07:25 PM)dna mx Wrote:
I've jus listened to Practice Mix 3 Ozone Master.mp3, the track lacks of low end and depth in general and for my taste the basses and kick are low in level, and some element are unnecesary panned, but is a good sounded mix the fx on the vocals are very good in place and sound.

Thanks for the feedback, do you mind if i ask what you were using to listen to it? also what element do you consider unnecessarily panned?
(13-09-2021, 09:57 PM)Ys Man Wrote:

How does this sound now?
Good work, liked the color of Synths in the Chorus, what I can suggest, (of course is a personal taste), is a hi-cut filter in the reverb of the snaps in 0:29, between 5000 Hz - 3000 Hz. That will keep the ambience while the snaps will be more in front, but that is just a personal taste.
(14-09-2021, 06:21 PM)Leonnyxx Wrote:
(13-09-2021, 09:57 PM)Y Wrote:

How does this sound now?
Good work, liked the color of Synths in the Chorus, what I can suggest, (of course is a personal taste), is a hi-cut filter in the reverb of the snaps in 0:29, between 5000 Hz - 3000 Hz. That will keep the ambience while the snaps will be more in front, but that is just a personal taste.

Thanks for the advice, ive actually referenced your track trying to push my low end so many thanks for that aswell. If you could check it out?not perfect but getting the ear for how my headphones work, they can fool me without some references
Man, this sounds better and better, can I share some tricks, I learned from Luca Pretolesi a cool trick to expand instead of compress the dynamic range of a signal, using a single band or in this case, a multiband transient shaper, like the iZotope Neutron 3 Transient Shaper, I think, Melda have also a multiband transient shaper. Using that to expand the highs and lows to open the sound. 

In the Loop Break, the track 23, my settings was  a iZotope Neutron 3 Transient Shaper with the first crossover, the line that divide the bands, in 4.5kHz and boosted some dbfs for attack in the Highs, the other crossover was in 450 Hz an boosted some dbfs for the attack on the lows. The result is an open sound and you dont need to use a EQ. If you can, experiment with those kind of plugins

For the Kick, I used a clipper, the SIR Audio Clipper to generate extra harmonics, but this flattens out the kick, to give the transients back I used the Neutron T.Shaper, or you can use any compressor with a slow attack like 150 ms will create the transient.

For the Master process, Luca Pretolesi uses a combination of Clippers and Limiters, check this out:
https://youtu.be/bYLyJHXxA3g
Hey Y's Man!
I listened to practice mix 3, nice mix!

Just a short list of things I noticed:

- I like the Slap delay on the vocal track
- pitched vocal repeats a litte too loud and dry for my taste
- Nice and punchy drum processing, especially your percussion and tom sound in the build up: Those sound awesome!
- Vocals seem to get a little bit buried towards the end of the build up
- after the drop (in both hooks) I missed a bit of a wider space or depth. Maybe general panning or some panned delays or wide reverb on some elements can help for width/depth.
- overall it gets a little bit compressed sounding there also (for my taste). level drops slightly in that part in relation to build up and verse. Not sure where the level drop comes from.
- Reverse Cymbal at 1.40 too loud?
- Drums slighty loud, but that might be my taste, I know someone said otherwise haha
- Also like your bass sound

All of course based on my personal taste.
It's hard to judge other mixes from a song you tried to mix yourself Smile, more than I thought. Hope I could help!
(23-09-2021, 08:46 AM)vrlnsnd Wrote: Hey Y's Man!
I listened to practice mix 3, nice mix!

Just a short list of things I noticed:

- I like the Slap delay on the vocal track
- pitched vocal repeats a litte too loud and dry for my taste
- Nice and punchy drum processing, especially your percussion and tom sound in the build up: Those sound awesome!
- Vocals seem to get a little bit buried towards the end of the build up
- after the drop (in both hooks) I missed a bit of a wider space or depth. Maybe general panning or some panned delays or wide reverb on some elements can help for width/depth.
- overall it gets a little bit compressed sounding there also (for my taste). level drops slightly in that part in relation to build up and verse. Not sure where the level drop comes from.
- Reverse Cymbal at 1.40 too loud?
- Drums slighty loud, but that might be my taste, I know someone said otherwise haha
- Also like your bass sound

All of course based on my personal taste.
It's hard to judge other mixes from a song you tried to mix yourself Smile, more than I thought. Hope I could help!
Thanks for the detailed feedback, i agree with it all and will go back to it at some point
Updated this one a little in the mix instead of eq to boost lows pre limiter