Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amber Skye - Howlin
Hows that

.mp3    Mike mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.91 MB)

Hi!

That's fantastic! I'm listening on headphones - it sounds very good to me, especially the bass and vocal. Actually had to double check that it was still my mix!

I haven't had any time to revisit the mix today (probably a good thing to have a bit of a break). I agree that it was still a bit off. You've pretty much done exactly what I was thinking it needed (probably better!) - especially with the bass. I thought I'd got enough low end weight in there - but referencing to tracks by Ava Max, and also Dua Lipa - Levitating that I've got in my playlist - I was thinking I could go a bit more with it to get that kind of bass push that you got.

(As an aside - That Dua Lipa track the intro keyboard/vocal ahh sample thing carries on most of the way through the track in the background as well as a kind of vocoder layer - I can't stop focusing on it now I've spotted it, can't say I particularly noticed it initially!)

Yeah this has turned out to be a tough one for me - I did manage to have some fun with the 1.2 version working out how to try and solve the low end issues. I think the raw tracks (and the library mix) have got the kind of frequency balance that really seems to throw me off and kind of burns out my sense of perception pretty quickly (a bit like the rock stuff used to), so I appreciated the heads-up on that score.

What do you make of the library mix? It's wanting to be that all low end and top end and nothing in between kind of mix isn't it? But the low end is kind of not quite low end, and the top end is quite bright and kind of harsh/distorted. I dunno - I think the vocals are kind of disappointing in that mix really - is it just me? I think this track did get radio play though. I wonder if the released version is actually the same mix. I haven't listened to the youtube version yet. As I mentioned I would be interested in your thoughts on that.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I agree what you are saying about the library mix.
mix 1.3 added.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!