Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2)
(30-08-2021, 08:11 PM)Faders_up Wrote: Great job MikeJ. You gave it a shot. This track is a challenge for anyone. Maybe it’s just me, but I felt this was a tough one. The vocal parts are very inconsistent. Maybe different mics, pre amps, distance to the microphone on different takes. It was a battle to get any kind of consistency not to mention the tuning is pretty bad in some spots. I thought I was listening to a Mario game with those keyboard parts. But all that said, it’s a cool track, it has interesting vocal parts. It’s just amateur production. With so many home studios now, it’s to be expected. I wouldn’t want to stifle anyone’s creativity but it can be frustrating at times as a mixer. Great song, great arrangement, great performance, great recording leads to a much easier mix. Steve Lukather just posted an article that describes this pretty accurately. On well done recording, put the faders at unity and you should be 80-90% there. I think making the vocal fit into the track will help. Lower level more compression and faster attack would give this track more overall energy. Just my 2¢ Smile

Thanks. Yeah it is challenging, but fun. I was well aware I would likely get some flack for really trying to get that loudness too Big Grin. I feel I almost got away with it... Perhaps not. 

I do feel I might be able to do better though, have to see. Especially if don't try and squish it so much.

I get what you mean.  I do think this production is great though - the vocals especially.  I think they certainly captured their passion and energy.  Not everyone is Steve Lukather, or has a Steve Lukather budget of course! 

I feel they've done a great job putting it all together.  As an aside - Phil (I think it's the Phil half) is so helpful, positive and encouraging on the forum here too.

It's funny though, there are some sessions in the library that are pretty much pull up the faders and there's the mix.  I get the impression that some people feel they are a waste of time as they are already pre-mixed.  I've seen some mix tutorials online by pro's where they basically take session from the producer and then check everything and add polish to take it to the next level.  I feel it's all good practice anyway.

- I'll be sure to check out your mix and also 401kbc's mix in the next couple of days too.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by mikej - 28-08-2021, 06:32 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by 401kBC - 28-08-2021, 10:35 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by mikej - 28-08-2021, 11:42 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by takka360 - 28-08-2021, 11:50 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by mikej - 30-08-2021, 07:43 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by Roy - 30-08-2021, 07:47 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by takka360 - 02-09-2021, 05:51 AM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by Roy - 29-08-2021, 12:34 AM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by mikej - 30-08-2021, 08:36 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by Faders_up - 30-08-2021, 08:11 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by mikej - 30-08-2021, 09:56 PM