Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2)
RoyM Wrote:I don't know if I'd say it feels over limited. Maybe it is but I don't know if that bothers me. And at first, Takka's critique that it "Just sounds like a noise" seemed a little harsh but I think I get it. Tonally, the balances feel fine. As far as the song goes, as it played I wasn't sure what to focus on. It felt 'flat'. Focusing on the vocal took effort. Maybe it's over limiting and I think there's no good outcome in chasing loudness but I dunno.

Well, it is over limited - that was kind of my aim.  I think it's really mainly the vocal that more noticeably suffers at times - when the vocal is louder due to the relative balance.  Takka's critique is fair enough from one point of view, but not from the how to make it loud perspective.  I do fully understand both perspectives!

RoyM Wrote:I haven't really listened to the preview track so I don't know what they were aiming for or how this relates to that vision. That said, it feels like it should be a bit more dynamic. There's something about it that doesn't move me to beat the boss on the final level.

Loud and bright is what I got. (Yes, arguably too loud and bright, it is what it is all the same).  Not sure how dynamic 5.7 LUFS can be really.  Library mix has better frequency and volume balance and management for that kind of loud.  Realistically mixing wise I'm probably only good enough for about 7+ LUFS. 

Anything approaching 6 LUFS and beyond is incredibly loud and is too much really.  I do admire the skill of those that have figured out loud.   

A lot of EDM and Punk seem to manage it though and don't sound bad for it as such (in my opinion) as it really can suit the aesthetic really.  It's just really difficult to do well and requires a good mix that is crafted for loud.

As an aside - I do approach every mix differently - I wouldn't be trying to get a well recorded Jazz trio anywhere near as loud for example.  In this case it's a fun thing to try, and if people are used to listening to a loud library mix, then I feel you have to give it a go.

RoyM Wrote:On a technical level, I'm a fan of wide mixes and LCR and hard panning (not a euphemism) but I feel like the drums are a bit too wide. I guess because they're probably samples (?) and parts can exist a bit too clearly in the stereo spectrum. I don't know if panning them in would help (which I have a primal negative reaction to) or maybe some (mono?) reverb to center the sound a bit. Or maybe more room sound if there are any room tracks. Just something to make the hat and crashes part of the whole image as opposed to a point in space. A galaxy, not a star.

As well as loud and bright, I was feeling wide drums were required here too.  I made the toms wider than I might usually do -  and I also didn't reduce the width of the overs.  Just saying this was a conscious choice for this mix.  I thought the crashes were ok though really? 

Quote:I have no idea if any of this makes any sense.

Yeah.  I get it. 

Thanks for all the comments folks. I have printed a slightly tweaked and less squished version of this mix that I might post in a day or two.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by mikej - 28-08-2021, 06:32 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by 401kBC - 28-08-2021, 10:35 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by mikej - 28-08-2021, 11:42 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by takka360 - 28-08-2021, 11:50 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by mikej - 30-08-2021, 07:43 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by Roy - 30-08-2021, 07:47 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by takka360 - 02-09-2021, 05:51 AM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by Roy - 29-08-2021, 12:34 AM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by mikej - 30-08-2021, 08:36 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by Faders_up - 30-08-2021, 08:11 PM
RE: MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) - by mikej - 30-08-2021, 09:56 PM