Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2)
Hi!

Another phenomenal track from MekaPhil. 

My mix attempt.

Cheers!

Update: Added mix 1.0.

.mp3    MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2).mp3 --  (Download: 9.06 MB)

.mp3    MekaPhil - Timeless (Part 2) 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 9.06 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Nice Mix! I think Its just a little on the trebly side, but everything sounds well balanced up there to me. In contrast to MekaPhils mix, that has a very very deep feel in the drums from the start. I like the wide stereo sensation, I just wish there was a tad more low mids or upper bass in the background stereo, ( maybe more horn?) the transients are all good! Well thats my short take. Very good song Smile
Hi!

Thanks for checking it out, and for your thoughts - much appreciated!

Yeah - it is on the bright side. Might be worth comparing it to the library mix rather than the stream mix, as it was the library mix I was using for reference for this one. I feel the low mids are ok in comparison? The library mix is also maybe even brighter than my mix, it also has a bit more sub bass too.

The library mix is an insanely loud 5.7 LUFS which is quite remarkable really. That library mix is really clean for being so loud. I managed to get to 6.1 LUFS...

I feel some of the louder vocals are perhaps pushing the drums back a bit. Maybe some of the vocals can be brought down a touch, and the drums up a few db. I might have the guitar solo up a bit loud also. I feel it does all kind of work by way of creating contrast between sections though, and keeps the energy up.

I must admit I didn't quite get the 'anime rock' tag with the first MekaPhil track (as an aside l thought the library mix for that one was really bright!), but I definitely get it with this one, with those synth parts. The track sounds very cinematic - I can really envision it being the finale to a film, or a stage rock opera or something like that. I think it's great.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Its all to over limited for me.Just sounds like a noise
I don't know if I'd say it feels over limited. Maybe it is but I don't know if that bothers me. And at first, Takka's critique that it "Just sounds like a noise" seemed a little harsh but I think I get it. Tonally, the balances feel fine. As far as the song goes, as it played I wasn't sure what to focus on. It felt 'flat'. Focusing on the vocal took effort. Maybe it's over limiting and I think there's no good outcome in chasing loudness but I dunno.

I haven't really listened to the preview track so I don't know what they were aiming for or how this relates to that vision. That said, it feels like it should be a bit more dynamic. There's something about it that doesn't move me to beat the boss on the final level.

On a technical level, I'm a fan of wide mixes and LCR and hard panning (not a euphemism) but I feel like the drums are a bit too wide. I guess because they're probably samples (?) and parts can exist a bit too clearly in the stereo spectrum. I don't know if panning them in would help (which I have a primal negative reaction to) or maybe some (mono?) reverb to center the sound a bit. Or maybe more room sound if there are any room tracks. Just something to make the hat and crashes part of the whole image as opposed to a point in space. A galaxy, not a star.

I have no idea if any of this makes any sense.
(28-08-2021, 11:50 PM)takka360 Wrote: Its all to over limited for me.Just sounds like a noise

That sounds like noise, Mr. Vai! And I want it Stopped! You all got detention!

Well, at least I gave 5.7 LUFS a shot all the same. Maybe the real 5.7 LUFS was the friends I met along the way Big Grin.

Cheers!
(30-08-2021, 07:43 PM)mikej Wrote: That sounds like noise, Mr. Vai! And I want it Stopped! You all got detention!
That's a good album.
(28-08-2021, 06:32 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Another phenomenal track from MekaPhil. 

My mix attempt.

Cheers!
Great job MikeJ. You gave it a shot. This track is a challenge for anyone. Maybe it’s just me, but I felt this was a tough one. The vocal parts are very inconsistent. Maybe different mics, pre amps, distance to the microphone on different takes. It was a battle to get any kind of consistency not to mention the tuning is pretty bad in some spots. I thought I was listening to a Mario game with those keyboard parts. But all that said, it’s a cool track, it has interesting vocal parts. It’s just amateur production. With so many home studios now, it’s to be expected. I wouldn’t want to stifle anyone’s creativity but it can be frustrating at times as a mixer. Great song, great arrangement, great performance, great recording leads to a much easier mix. Steve Lukather just posted an article that describes this pretty accurately. On well done recording, put the faders at unity and you should be 80-90% there. I think making the vocal fit into the track will help. Lower level more compression and faster attack would give this track more overall energy. Just my 2¢ Smile
We're all just a bunch of freqs in this crazy world.
RoyM Wrote:I don't know if I'd say it feels over limited. Maybe it is but I don't know if that bothers me. And at first, Takka's critique that it "Just sounds like a noise" seemed a little harsh but I think I get it. Tonally, the balances feel fine. As far as the song goes, as it played I wasn't sure what to focus on. It felt 'flat'. Focusing on the vocal took effort. Maybe it's over limiting and I think there's no good outcome in chasing loudness but I dunno.

Well, it is over limited - that was kind of my aim.  I think it's really mainly the vocal that more noticeably suffers at times - when the vocal is louder due to the relative balance.  Takka's critique is fair enough from one point of view, but not from the how to make it loud perspective.  I do fully understand both perspectives!

RoyM Wrote:I haven't really listened to the preview track so I don't know what they were aiming for or how this relates to that vision. That said, it feels like it should be a bit more dynamic. There's something about it that doesn't move me to beat the boss on the final level.

Loud and bright is what I got. (Yes, arguably too loud and bright, it is what it is all the same).  Not sure how dynamic 5.7 LUFS can be really.  Library mix has better frequency and volume balance and management for that kind of loud.  Realistically mixing wise I'm probably only good enough for about 7+ LUFS. 

Anything approaching 6 LUFS and beyond is incredibly loud and is too much really.  I do admire the skill of those that have figured out loud.   

A lot of EDM and Punk seem to manage it though and don't sound bad for it as such (in my opinion) as it really can suit the aesthetic really.  It's just really difficult to do well and requires a good mix that is crafted for loud.

As an aside - I do approach every mix differently - I wouldn't be trying to get a well recorded Jazz trio anywhere near as loud for example.  In this case it's a fun thing to try, and if people are used to listening to a loud library mix, then I feel you have to give it a go.

RoyM Wrote:On a technical level, I'm a fan of wide mixes and LCR and hard panning (not a euphemism) but I feel like the drums are a bit too wide. I guess because they're probably samples (?) and parts can exist a bit too clearly in the stereo spectrum. I don't know if panning them in would help (which I have a primal negative reaction to) or maybe some (mono?) reverb to center the sound a bit. Or maybe more room sound if there are any room tracks. Just something to make the hat and crashes part of the whole image as opposed to a point in space. A galaxy, not a star.

As well as loud and bright, I was feeling wide drums were required here too.  I made the toms wider than I might usually do -  and I also didn't reduce the width of the overs.  Just saying this was a conscious choice for this mix.  I thought the crashes were ok though really? 

Quote:I have no idea if any of this makes any sense.

Yeah.  I get it. 

Thanks for all the comments folks. I have printed a slightly tweaked and less squished version of this mix that I might post in a day or two.

Cheers!
(30-08-2021, 08:11 PM)Faders_up Wrote: Great job MikeJ. You gave it a shot. This track is a challenge for anyone. Maybe it’s just me, but I felt this was a tough one. The vocal parts are very inconsistent. Maybe different mics, pre amps, distance to the microphone on different takes. It was a battle to get any kind of consistency not to mention the tuning is pretty bad in some spots. I thought I was listening to a Mario game with those keyboard parts. But all that said, it’s a cool track, it has interesting vocal parts. It’s just amateur production. With so many home studios now, it’s to be expected. I wouldn’t want to stifle anyone’s creativity but it can be frustrating at times as a mixer. Great song, great arrangement, great performance, great recording leads to a much easier mix. Steve Lukather just posted an article that describes this pretty accurately. On well done recording, put the faders at unity and you should be 80-90% there. I think making the vocal fit into the track will help. Lower level more compression and faster attack would give this track more overall energy. Just my 2¢ Smile

Thanks. Yeah it is challenging, but fun. I was well aware I would likely get some flack for really trying to get that loudness too Big Grin. I feel I almost got away with it... Perhaps not. 

I do feel I might be able to do better though, have to see. Especially if don't try and squish it so much.

I get what you mean.  I do think this production is great though - the vocals especially.  I think they certainly captured their passion and energy.  Not everyone is Steve Lukather, or has a Steve Lukather budget of course! 

I feel they've done a great job putting it all together.  As an aside - Phil (I think it's the Phil half) is so helpful, positive and encouraging on the forum here too.

It's funny though, there are some sessions in the library that are pretty much pull up the faders and there's the mix.  I get the impression that some people feel they are a waste of time as they are already pre-mixed.  I've seen some mix tutorials online by pro's where they basically take session from the producer and then check everything and add polish to take it to the next level.  I feel it's all good practice anyway.

- I'll be sure to check out your mix and also 401kbc's mix in the next couple of days too.

Cheers!