Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brennon Causey Mixing - 'TimelessV5'
A 3 hr mix. Finally got around to doing something with it Smile

Let me know your thoughts on it

V2 - Fixed a few things

V3 - Tried to get the vocals bigger and get better translation.

v4 - Ok, so I added some samples to the drums and added some Heavy eq and compression to every track I couldn't hear in these first few versions. Sounds even better Smile

v5 - So I fixed the issues that you mentioned MikeJ and Aftercuts, and I think I improved on it Smile

.mp3    TimelessV2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.12 MB)

.mp3    TimelessV3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.28 MB)

.mp3    TimelessV4.mp3 --  (Download: 9.28 MB)

.mp3    TimelessV5.mp3 --  (Download: 9.13 MB)

Hi!

Listening to V4

Overall it sounds very smooth and the overall frequency balance has a good shape to it.

Personally not sure about the rhythm guitar sound - seems a little buzzy and could be better defined maybe I think - kind of needs just a touch more tone and maybe a little cut to let the vocals through? I feel the vocals could maybe do with a touch of mid range too, to lift them out a bit perhaps? I dunno - I guess I feel that guitar and the vocals are kind of fighting for the same frequency space in the mids a little. Maybe just lowering the volume of the guitars a touch might do the trick, not sure.

I dunno - this is certainly a bit of a challenging one. I'm perhaps a little burned out on this one right now too, and I know we are using different refs - so my comments might not be of much use. Do let me know your thoughts all the same. I also really appreciate the posting of the different versions as the mix progesses too. Anyway, keep at it!!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey there friend! Quite liking the approach you took! The only criticisms I would have are that the vocals tend to get a bit buried. I would personally emphasize the vocals a little more. If you're eqing, pushing up that 1.5k to 2k region. Remember, every instrument is sharing that very fundamental 200hz to 1khz region. Scoop some of that out in the orchestral tracks and the synths, maybe bring the highs of the guitar (maybe 4k to 8k) down just a smidge. Those changes will help with balance in the frequencies immensely. I think the lead tone is GREAT but could potentially also be a little more boosting in the 2k region.
Overall, the balance and framework are definitely there with v4, it just needs some mostly corrective EQ to make it feel a little more open. That openness will translate to a much larger feeling mix where the elements click into place as opposed to stepping around each other a little bit.
IN my stream, I kind of over-exaggerated that aspect of the mix, but overall I think the idea is still there. Find some more space for everything and you'll be really well off!

On second listen, there may also be some overall buildup at 600hz and 200hz. Address those with dynamic eq on instruments that buildup there. That's pretty important I think. Your mix WILL feel louder without those resonant buildups.
Snare sounds really cool and the vocals have a nice tone to them. The vocals just feel buried at times.

Thank you for your mixes! I have enjoyed them, and I hope there's a v5!!
(04-09-2021, 04:36 AM)aftercutrecords Wrote: Hey there friend! Quite liking the approach you took! The only criticisms I would have are that the vocals tend to get a bit buried. I would personally emphasize the vocals a little more. If you're eqing, pushing up that 1.5k to 2k region. Remember, every instrument is sharing that very fundamental 200hz to 1khz region. Scoop some of that out in the orchestral tracks and the synths, maybe bring the highs of the guitar (maybe 4k to 8k) down just a smidge. Those changes will help with balance in the frequencies immensely. I think the lead tone is GREAT but could potentially also be a little more boosting in the 2k region.
Overall, the balance and framework are definitely there with v4, it just needs some mostly corrective EQ to make it feel a little more open. That openness will translate to a much larger feeling mix where the elements click into place as opposed to stepping around each other a little bit.
IN my stream, I kind of over-exaggerated that aspect of the mix, but overall I think the idea is still there. Find some more space for everything and you'll be really well off!

On second listen, there may also be some overall buildup at 600hz and 200hz. Address those with dynamic eq on instruments that buildup there. That's pretty important I think. Your mix WILL feel louder without those resonant buildups.
Snare sounds really cool and the vocals have a nice tone to them. The vocals just feel buried at times.

Thank you for your mixes! I have enjoyed them, and I hope there's a v5!!
Hello and thank you so much for listening! Smile I love your criticism and everything you said does make sense. I can also hear when listening that everything is kind of in the same space with that 600 hz build up too. It seems I just got some nice tones out of the tracks, controlled the dynamics and left it at that haha

On a serious note, a v5 would really be nice. I wasn't sure if I would spend the time to fix this mix to take it a step further but you have encouraged me to do it! Smile
Added Version 5 Smile
I like it a lot! Great job improving on every element from start to finish. It's kind of amazing how far it came over the course of 5 versions! I'm definitely impressed. It's got weight to it, clarity, and strong tones. The balances are lovely.

As the kids are saying these days, "we love to see it'! Big Grin